[tor-relays] exit operators: overall DNS failure rate above 5% - please check your DNS resolver

Tim Niemeyer tim at tn-x.org
Sat Jun 29 06:59:34 UTC 2019

Hi nusenu

After reading your Mail, I realized that not the DNS records for the
exit IPs are failing. Instead this list shows problems to resolve dns
on the exit.

I looked at our exit and all looks fine. Resolver works very fast and
nothing imporint within the logfile. Only some dudes use 0.100.2.2 as
remote address, but let's be fair, that can't work. ;)

There are 4 exits on one machine with one dns server. Only 3 of them
are shown in the list:
https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#search/as:AS205100

Maybe it is a load problem, because this machine has 100% cpu load? :(

A dedicated machine for dns may be good, but currently we have only
this one machine. Another way could be to recude exit capacity, but I
don't know if it's a good idea to throttle it?

Btw, in the mean time we got more upstream transit and now we are
looking to get better / second hardware. But money is a limiting
factor. :(

Kind regards
Tim