[tor-relays] Strange Traffic behaviour

Tobias Sachs tobias at tobiassachs.de
Sat Jul 28 17:59:08 UTC 2018

Hey folks!

My relay which is currently hibernating shows something strange.

Hibernation is set to 19 TB’s of outgoing Traffic. Hetzner Cloud shows ~16TB outgoing traffic and the relays log itself 38TB.
vnstat reports exactly 20.38 TiB tx so in conclusion Hetzner can not count there Bits and Bytes or the same as protection is not correct.
Because if Hetzner’s stats are correct i would have send 3 TB’s of Traffic to other Tor servers and clients internally. Because internal traffic is not counted.
I guess that a Juniper routers net flow tool is correct so how can i look at this? Because my second relay in Helsinki does have this too with a difference of 2 TB’s.

"Heartbeat: Tor's uptime is 27 days 1:39 hours, with 0 circuits open. I've sent 38486.76 GB and received 38489.42 GB. We are currently hibernating.“

When i divide that by two this gives me 19 TB’s of outgoing Traffic. So i guess that this is a bug?

Thanks!
Tobias