[tor-relays] Strange Traffic behaviour

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sat Jul 28 22:51:13 UTC 2018

On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 07:59:08PM +0200, Tobias Sachs wrote:
> Hibernation is set to 19 TB???s of outgoing Traffic. Hetzner Cloud shows ~16TB outgoing traffic and the relays log itself 38TB.

Can you give us your actual torrc lines?

Also, how about the log lines, particularly the ones that talk about
when it woke up, when it went into hibernation, when it plans to wake
up again, etc?

> vnstat reports exactly 20.38 TiB tx so in conclusion Hetzner can not count there Bits and Bytes or the same as protection is not correct.

Maybe some of these transmitted bytes went to other Hetzner servers,
which they don't count as "really" sending bytes to the Internet.

> Because if Hetzner???s stats are correct i would have send 3 TB???s of Traffic to other Tor servers and clients internally. Because internal traffic is not counted.

Ah, yes, this is what you suggested. Maybe? That's a lot (a large
fraction) given that Hetzner doesn't have that large a fraction of the
Tor network these days.

> I guess that a Juniper routers net flow tool is correct so how can i look at this? Because my second relay in Helsinki does have this too with a difference of 2 TB???s.
>
> "Heartbeat: Tor's uptime is 27 days 1:39 hours, with 0 circuits open. I've sent 38486.76 GB and received 38489.42 GB. We are currently hibernating.???
>
> When i divide that by two this gives me 19 TB???s of outgoing Traffic. So i guess that this is a bug?

Tor said you sent 38TB, so that's 38TB of outgoing traffic.

Maybe your 27 days contained two hibernation periods? That would be
one possible explanation for 19+19=38.

--Roger