[tor-relays] Testing Golang relay implementation

Nagaev Boris bnagaev at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 13:59:32 UTC 2017

Hey

Thanks for doing that! It came many times to my mind.

There were efforts on implementing Tor relay in Golang before, by
Tom van der Woerdt:
https://github.com/tvdw/gotor
Have you looked at the project?

In his blog post
https://tvdw.eu/blog/2015/01/24/implementing-a-tor-relay-from-scratch/
Tom described some issues he faced with during this work and a list of
lessons learnt.

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 5:18 AM, Michael McLoughlin
<mmcloughlin at gmail.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> I am working on a pure Golang relay implementation.
>
> https://github.com/mmcloughlin/pearl/
>
> I have thus far been testing locally with chutney
> (https://gitweb.torproject.org/chutney.git). The project is not complete by
> any stretch, but I believe I am close to the point where it can handle Tor
> network traffic. I expect I can learn *a lot* by running against real
> traffic rather than my sandboxed environment.
>
> I wanted to get in touch with the community before going live. Any advice
> gratefully received.
>
> The implementation identifies itself clearly in the server descriptor, both
> in the "platform" and "contact" items. If people notice any problems with
> the relay specifically they will be able to contact me.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Best regards,
Boris Nagaev