[tor-relays] ISP is aking me to send a selfie holding my identity card

Ralph Seichter m16+tor at monksofcool.net
Fri Dec 8 13:15:27 UTC 2017

On 08.12.2017 02:46, niftybunny wrote:

> I do not think they will compromise and this is “normal” behaviour for
> a ISP from Europe.

I strongly disagree to that being "normal" in any shape or form. I have
rented servers with several European hosters and have not once been
asked for ID.

> In Germany you have to send them a copy of your passport before they
> even get you a server. Got this with Hetzner.

No, you don't have to. What German law do you think would require it? If
you made this experience, in contrast to anybody I know in the business,
I would consider this extraordinary. As for Hetzner in particular,
neither me nor any of my customers who work with Hetzner were ever asked
for ID, let alone a photo.

> So, nothing to worry about.

I would worry about it!

-Ralph