[tor-relays] ISP is aking me to send a selfie holding my identity card

Alexander Dietrich alexander at dietrich.cx
Fri Dec 8 13:44:01 UTC 2017

On 2017-12-08 13:24, niftybunny wrote:

>> On 8. Dec 2017, at 10:23, Alexander Dietrich <alexander at dietrich.cx> wrote:
>>
>> I have no experience with Hetzner, but no ISP in Germany (or elsewhere) has ever asked me for a copy of my passport. I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.
>>
>> (For German readers: it's illegal to create photocopies of the latest generation of ID cards, except for government agencies, banks and such, AFAIK.
>
> No its is not and its normal with banks, ISPs,  web hosting etc
>
> proof: https://www.datenschutzbeauftragter-info.de/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Personalausweis-kopieren-Stellungnahme-BMI.pdf
>
> Look it up and stop starting rumours ...
>
> Markus

That document basically says "copies are fine, as long as you comply
with this list of bullet points that no IT-based process can (or will)
follow". :) It even addresses in-person verification and recommends a
"look but don't touch" approach.

But back to the topic of ISPs asking for your papers: caving in to such
ridiculous demands sets a bad precedent and I would still recommend to
take your business somewhere else.

Kind regards,
Alexander