[tor-relays] is it possible to relay using ipv6?

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 02:33:50 UTC 2016

> On 22 Nov. 2016, at 03:18, Ralph Seichter <tor-relays-ml at horus-it.de> wrote:
>
> On 21.11.2016 16:39, teor wrote:
>
>> Relays require an IPv4 address, because every relay in the Tor network
>> needs to be able to connect to every other relay. If some relays can't
>> reach other relays, then clients won't be able to select paths at
>> random.
>
> When I wrote that "using IPv6 is not rocket science" I meant this as a
> general comment related to the "oh, I'll just stick with IPv4 and hope
> for the best" attitude that many ISPs and users still show. I am aware
> that in a Tor context, reaching a critical mass of IPv6 capable nodes in
> order to provide a large enough pool to ensure anonymity is not trivial.
>
> I meant to say that if the Tor authors need more IPv6 participants, I am
> happy to help.
>
>> Tor is IPv6 capable, and has been for years.
>
> My nodes appear to see precious little IPv6 based traffic, though.
>
>> Do you advertise an IPv6 ORPort on your relays and bridges?
>
> Yes. Netstat shows that Tor binds to both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.

Do you have an ORPort with an IPv6 address in your torrc?

Does your relay's descriptor advertise a globally routable IPv6
ORPort address?

>> Do you set IPv6Exit on your exits?
>
> $ grep -i IPv6 torrc
> ClientUseIPv6 1

This option allows your relay to use both IPv4 and IPv6.
But relays prefer IPv4, and all directory mirrors and authorities have
IPv4, so it doesn't have much effect on relays.

> ClientPreferIPv6DirPort 1

This option was introduced and deprecated in the 0.2.8 alpha series,
it has no effect.

> ClientPreferIPv6ORPort 1

This will cause your relay to prefer IPv6 ORPorts for its own traffic,
but clients will ask your relay to use IPv4.

> IPv6Exit 1

This allows clients to connect to IPv6 sites via your Exit.

> Not sure if there is anything else I can use to signal that I support
> and prefer IPv6 via Tor settings?

Help us test dual-stack client support in the 0.2.9 alpha series, by
running a Tor alpha client with:

ClientUseIPv6 1
ClientPreferIPv6ORPort 1

OR

Help us test IPv6-only client support in the 0.2.9 alpha series, by
running a Tor alpha client with:

ClientUseIPv4 0
UseMicrodescriptors 0

Here is the tor-dev thread with the details:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-October/011597.html

Or you can download the latest alpha release and build from source:
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-0295-alpha-released-numerous-bugfixes

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
ricochet:ekmygaiu4rzgsk6n