[tor-relays] is it possible to relay using ipv6?

Ralph Seichter tor-relays-ml at horus-it.de
Mon Nov 21 16:18:05 UTC 2016

On 21.11.2016 16:39, teor wrote:

> Relays require an IPv4 address, because every relay in the Tor network
> needs to be able to connect to every other relay. If some relays can't
> reach other relays, then clients won't be able to select paths at
> random.

When I wrote that "using IPv6 is not rocket science" I meant this as a
general comment related to the "oh, I'll just stick with IPv4 and hope
for the best" attitude that many ISPs and users still show. I am aware
that in a Tor context, reaching a critical mass of IPv6 capable nodes in
order to provide a large enough pool to ensure anonymity is not trivial.

I meant to say that if the Tor authors need more IPv6 participants, I am
happy to help.

> Tor is IPv6 capable, and has been for years.

My nodes appear to see precious little IPv6 based traffic, though.

> Do you advertise an IPv6 ORPort on your relays and bridges?

Yes. Netstat shows that Tor binds to both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.

> Do you set IPv6Exit on your exits?

$ grep -i IPv6 torrc
ClientUseIPv6 1
ClientPreferIPv6DirPort 1
ClientPreferIPv6ORPort 1
IPv6Exit 1

Not sure if there is anything else I can use to signal that I support
and prefer IPv6 via Tor settings?

-Ralph