[tor-relays] excessive bandwidth assigned bandwidth-limited exit relay

Dhalgren Tor dhalgren.tor at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 13:22:26 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 1:10 PM, Tim Wilson-Brown - teor
<teor2345 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you help me understand what you think the bug is?

Relay is assigned a consensus weight that is too high w/r/t rate
limit.  Excess weight appears to be due to high quality of TCP/IP
connectivity and low latency of relay.  Result is overloaded relay and
poor end-use latency.

> Is Tor using more bandwidth that the BandwidthRate?

No, but relay is loaded to flat-line maximum and clearly is attracting
too many circuits.

> If so, this is a bug, and should be reported on the Tor Trac.

Not interested in doing that.  Looking for a way to get it work.

If the relay stays overloaded I'll try a packet-dropping IPTABLES rule
to "dirty-up" the connection.