[tor-relays] excessive bandwidth assigned bandwidth-limited exit relay

Tim Wilson-Brown - teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 13:10:46 UTC 2015

> On 1 Oct 2015, at 15:03, Dhalgren Tor <dhalgren.tor at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 12:55 PM, Tim Wilson-Brown - teor
> <teor2345 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 1 Oct 2015, at 14:48, Dhalgren Tor <dhalgren.tor at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> A good number appears to be around 65000 to 70000, but 98000 was just
>> assigned.
>>

>> Since I don’t have your relay fingerprint, I don’t know where you got this
>> figure from.
>
> FP is Dhalgren A0F06C2FADF88D3A39AA3072B406F09D7095AC9E
>
>> Is it the consensus weight?
>
> yes, this refers to the consensus weight.
>
>> The consensus weight is a unitless figure. It does not represent a number in
>> bytes per second.
>
> yes, know that; the 65-70k ideal number is based on what similar,
> properly loaded relays have.  Relay was assigned 73k yesterday and was
> close to, but still above a proper load

You can’t control your consensus weight, as it will change as the bandwidth authorities measure your relay, and as the rest of the network changes. Instead, configure your relay to only use the bandwidth you want it to use.

>> If so, that is a bug.
>
> Does seem like a bug.

Can you help me understand what you think the bug is?

Is Tor using more bandwidth that the BandwidthRate?
If so, this is a bug, and should be reported on the Tor Trac.
Please check if it’s covered by https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/17170 <https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/17170>
“documenation for BandwidthRate etc should mention TCP/IP overhead not included"

If Tor is using less bandwidth than the BandwidthRate, but it’s still too high for you, please try setting the BandwidthRate at or slightly below what you want Tor to use.

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
PGP 968F094B

teor at blah dot im
OTR CAD08081 9755866D 89E2A06F E3558B7F B5A9D14F