[tor-relays] excessive bandwidth assigned bandwidth-limited exit relay

Tim Wilson-Brown - teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 13:33:01 UTC 2015

> On 1 Oct 2015, at 15:22, Dhalgren Tor <dhalgren.tor at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 1:10 PM, Tim Wilson-Brown - teor
> <teor2345 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Can you help me understand what you think the bug is?
>
> Relay is assigned a consensus weight that is too high w/r/t rate
> limit.  Excess weight appears to be due to high quality of TCP/IP
> connectivity and low latency of relay.  Result is overloaded relay and
> poor end-use latency.
>
>> Is Tor using more bandwidth that the BandwidthRate?
>
> No, but relay is loaded to flat-line maximum and clearly is attracting
> too many circuits.
>
>> If so, this is a bug, and should be reported on the Tor Trac.
>
> Not interested in doing that.  Looking for a way to get it work.
>
> If the relay stays overloaded I'll try a packet-dropping IPTABLES rule
> to "dirty-up" the connection.

Please reduce your BandwidthRate until your relay load is what you want it to be, or wait until the bandwidth authorities notice your relay is overloaded and reduce its consensus weight.

Dropping packets using IPTABLES will actually increase your relay’s load due to retransmits, and degrade the performance of clients which use your relay. An IPTABLES rule would also degrade the performance of the overall Tor network due to these same retransmits.

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
PGP 968F094B

teor at blah dot im
OTR CAD08081 9755866D 89E2A06F E3558B7F B5A9D14F