[tor-relays] Someone broke the tor-relay speed record?

usprey usprey at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 14:20:39 UTC 2015

On 3 January 2015 at 12:36, grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 3:53 AM, usprey <usprey at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I would like to give a worthy mention about price/performance of modern
> AMD
> > CPUs.
> >
> > My current highest observed peak on a $400 AMD (w/o rackcase) machine is
> > 370Mbps running one tor process with two threads.
>
> What cpu model and cpu load percentages at what bandwidth?

A8-5600K bought for a cheap private server 1,5 years ago
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_accelerated_processing_unit_microprocessors#Virgo:_.22Trinity.22_.282012.2C_32_nm.29

I can set up system stats if you want proper figures, but far from full
load with 250Mbps average bidirectional traffic.

> The AMD's seem nice if you don't pay for watts, want ATI opencl
> GPU performance on die, can utilize their cmt setup better
> than htt, or just want a decent cheap cpu (which could indeed be
> interesting to evaluate for lower bandwidth like this 370Mbps).

I currently have free hosting for this machine, so power and traffic not an
issue. I expect the kernel to handle the rest. ;)

> AMD's fastest processor seems the fx-9590 4 modules 4.7ghz 220w $230.
> Under full load, my guess is the i7-5820k is about 26% faster for $155
> more, which you'd make back saving watts in 2.25 years.

Good point, if your not on a budget and building a private relay. Power
prices also vary a lot between countries and regions.

> I don't know how much Tor benefits from SMT, or how Intel HTT vs
> AMD CMT compares (very few reviews bother to properly test SMT).

No idea, should this not be more dependant on the OS?