[tor-relays] Someone broke the tor-relay speed record?

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 11:36:36 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 3:53 AM, usprey <usprey at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to give a worthy mention about price/performance of modern AMD
> CPUs.
>
> My current highest observed peak on a $400 AMD (w/o rackcase) machine is
> 370Mbps running one tor process with two threads.

What cpu model and cpu load percentages at what bandwidth?

The AMD's seem nice if you don't pay for watts, want ATI opencl
GPU performance on die, can utilize their cmt setup better
than htt, or just want a decent cheap cpu (which could indeed be
interesting to evaluate for lower bandwidth like this 370Mbps).

AMD's fastest processor seems the fx-9590 4 modules 4.7ghz 220w $230.
Under full load, my guess is the i7-5820k is about 26% faster for $155
more, which you'd make back saving watts in 2.25 years.

I don't know how much Tor benefits from SMT, or how Intel HTT vs
AMD CMT compares (very few reviews bother to properly test SMT).