[tor-relays] Someone broke the tor-relay speed record?

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 04:23:00 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 9:20 AM, usprey <usprey at gmail.com> wrote:
> A8-5600K bought for a cheap private server 1,5 years ago
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_accelerated_processing_unit_microprocessors

That could probably deliver 1/3 of an i7-5820k at 1/4 the price... a
better deal if targeting its lower possible bandwidth.

> I can set up system stats if you want proper figures, but far from full load
> with 250Mbps average bidirectional traffic.

Relative performance is mostly a benchmark thing, so the model lineup
I gave can be found anywhere and is pretty solid. To be able to better
predict/pick the megabits a model could deliver I'd need a handful of
better report samples/graphs:
- cpu model
- graph of total system load % vs each cpu load % vs bandwidth
- test environment statement, how many tors running, SMT, other
system uses, bandwidth/nic config, OS...

Most reports seen on this list are useless to establish that...
"oh, i'm running an i3 and moving 60Mbps blah blah..."
so don't take my megabit estimates as anything yet.