[tor-project] OONI Monthly Report: February 2019

Maria Xynou maria at openobservatory.org
Fri Mar 15 17:35:28 UTC 2019

Hello,

In February 2019, the OONI team established 3 new partnerships and
published a research report on media censorship amid Cuba's 2019
constitutional referendum. Further information is provided below.

## Established new partnerships

We are excited to have established new partnerships with:

* Software Freedom Law Centre (India)

* COMPSUDEV: Community Participation in Sustainable Development (Cameroon)

* R3D: Red en Defensa de los Derechos Digitales (Mexico)

## Report on media censorship in Cuba amid 2019 constitutional referendum

During Cuba's 2019 constitutional referendum, several independent media
websites were blocked.

We collaborated with locals on producing the following report:
https://ooni.torproject.org/post/cuba-referendum/

## OONI Probe Android 2.0.0 Incident Report

We published a report to share details about the OONI Probe Android
2.0.0 bug, what we did to fully resolve it, and what we are doing to
prevent similar incidents from recurring in the future:
https://ooni.io/post/ooni-probe-android-200-incident/

## OONI Software Development Guidelines

Following the OONI Probe Android 2.0.0 incident, we wrote and published
a document which explains the software development practices that the
OONI team will be following:
https://ooni.io/post/ooni-software-development-guidelines/

It is particularly important that we improve upon the testing of our
apps (both in terms of unit tests and end-to-end integration tests),
strengthen our quality assurance and release management workflow, and
improve upon how we do code review for all of our software projects.
Details about the software development practices that the OONI team (and
anyone else contributing to OONI software projects) should follow are
provided in our published guidelines.

We also started to improve the testing of the OONI Probe Android and iOS
apps by writing Unit & Integration tests:

* Probe Android: https://github.com/ooni/probe-android/pull/195

* Probe iOS: https://github.com/ooni/probe-ios/pull/246

## Beta release of MK v0.10

As a requirement to integrating a new Psiphon test into the OONI Probe
apps, we have been making a number of changes to Measurement Kit (MK).

We released a beta (MK v0.10) that includes these changes:
https://github.com/measurement-kit/measurement-kit/releases/tag/v0.10.0-beta

## Community activities

### Censorship measurement campaigns

Leading up to and during Nigeria's and Senegal's 2019 elections, our
Nigerian (Paradigm Initiative) and Senegalese (ASUTIC) partners
coordinated local OONI Probe censorship measurement testing.

In addition to coordinating local testing, ASUTIC updated the Senegalese
test list (https://github.com/citizenlab/test-lists/pull/434) and
Paradigm Initiative encouraged the use of OONI Probe through their
relevant guide ("How to Remain Online During Internet Disruptions" -
Verifying and testing blocked websites, apps, and social media
platforms):
https://paradigmhq.org/download/how-to-remain-online-during-internet-disruptions/

Our Venezuelan partners, Venezuela Inteligente and IPYS Venezuela,
continued to monitor emerging censorship events by coordinating local
OONI Probe testing. They confirmed the temporary blocking of YouTube and
many other services through the use of OONI Probe (as documented, for
example, by IPYS Venezuela:
https://ipysvenezuela.org/alerta/23f-balance-ipysve-medidas-de-censura-y-agresiones-han-restringido-el-derecho-a-la-informacion/).

### OONI Run button page

To support censorship measurement campaigns, we set up a quick page on
our website that includes OONI Run buttons:
https://ooni.io/get-involved/run/

OONI Probe mobile app users can tap on these buttons to test entire
country-specific test lists, as well as select social media and VPN
sites. We recently added an OONI Run button to enable the testing of
Wikipedia URLs as well.

We will likely continue to populate this page with more OONI Run buttons
over time (based on community requests).

### FOSDEM

On 2nd February 2019, OONI's Elio participated at FOSDEM where he
facilitated a session
(https://fosdem.org/2019/schedule/event/ux_overhaul_ooni/), providing an
overview of the UX overhaul of the OONI Probe mobile app.

## BarCamp Chiang Mai

On 16th February 2019, OONI's Lorenzo presented OONI at the BarCamp
event (https://www.barcampchiangmai.com/) in Chiang Mai, Thailand.

As part of this 30-minute session, Lorenzo explained how to use OONI
Probe and OONI data to examine internet censorship.

Our previous research with the Thai Netizen Network and Sinar Project,
examining internet censorship in Thailand
(https://ooni.io/post/thailand-internet-censorship/), was also presented
and discussed as part of the event.

## OONI workshop in Bangkok

On 17th February 2019, OONI's Lorenzo and our local partners jointly
facilitated a day-long OONI workshop (10am to 6:30pm) in Bangkok,
Thailand, for local human rights defenders.

The workshop covered the following:

* How the internet works / types of network interference
* Introduction to censorship measurement research (and potential risks)
* Installing & using OONI Probe
* Translating OONI Probe
* Legal, social and political context from Thailand and other Southeast
Asian countries
* Contributing to test lists
* Using OONI Explorer to find and interpret censorship measurement data
* Producing research based on OONI data
* Using OONI Run to coordinate censorship measurement campaigns
(particularly during political events)

## Userbase

In February 2019, OONI Probe was run 258,610 times from 4,544 different
vantage points in 209 countries around the world.

This information can also be found through our stats:
https://api.ooni.io/stats

~ OONI team.

--
Maria Xynou