[tor-project] January 2019 report for the Tor Browser team

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Thu Feb 7 13:58:00 UTC 2019

Hi everyone!

2019 started with two releases for the Tor Browser team, Tor Browser
8.0.5[1] and 8.5a7[2]. Both contain security fixes to Firefox and ship
updated Tor versions (0.3.5.7 and 0.4.0.1-alpha, respectively).

The alpha release, moreover, contains our new logo for the alpha channel
(thanks to Antonela and Richard for driving this!) and a number of fixes
to crashes noticed in previous releases.[3][4][5]

Apart from working on those releases we moved forward with our work on
the next Tor Browser for Android milestone, TBA-a3.  All tickets tracked
for this task can be found under the `TBA-a3` keyword.[6] For the
desktop side we made further progress in our security settings
redesign[7] and started to move to a new toolchain for Windows, which is
now clang-based[8].

The full list of tickets closed by the Tor Browser team in January is
accessible using the `TorBrowserTeam201901` keyword in our bug tracker.[9]

In February we plan to release another alpha containing in partiulcar
the latest improvements for mobile users and to start addressing the
remaining blockers for a Tor Browser 8.5 stable release. We'll work
further on our toolchain improvements (the mingw-w64/clang-based
toolchain and building 32bit Linux bundles on 64bit machines[10]) and on
our Tor Launcher and Torbutton integration into the browser code
itself.[11][12]

All tickets on our radar for this month can be seen with the
`TorBrowserTeam201902` keyword in our bug tracker.[13]

Georg

[1] https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-805
[2] https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-85a7
[3] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/28705
[4] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/27531
[5] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/28874
[6]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=!closed&keywords=~TBA-a3
[7] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/25658
[8] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/28716
[9]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=closed&keywords=~TorBrowserTeam201901
[10] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/26323
[11] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/28044
[12] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/10760
[13]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=merge_ready&status=needs_information&status=needs_review&status=needs_revision&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~TorBrowserTeam201902&order=priority