[tor-project] Anti-censorship meeting notes, 19 Dec 2019
phw at torproject.org
Thu Dec 19 18:53:30 UTC 2019
Here is our meeting log:
And here is our meeting pad:
Anti-censorship work meeting pad
Next meeting: Thursday December 19th 18:00 UTC
Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 18:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC (channel is logged while meetings are in progress).
== Goal of this meeting ==
Weekly checkin about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at Tor.
== Links to Useful documents ==
* Our anti-censorship roadmap: https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/anti-censorship/roadmap/boards
* Our roadmap consists of a subset of trac tickets.
* The anti-censorship team's wiki page: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/AntiCensorshipTeam
* GetTor's roadmap: https://dip.torproject.org/groups/torproject/anti-censorship/gettor-project/-/boards
* Tickets that need reviews: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=%5eCircumvention&col=id&col=summary&col=component&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=reviewer&order=priority
* Projects from sponsors we are working on:
--- 19th December 2019 ---
== Announcements ==
* We now have BridgeDB graphs on metrics!
== Discussion ==
* Sponsor 30: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/sponsors/Sponsor30
* UX - O3
* A1 - Develop Tor user personas as a tool to understand users’ contexts and mental models.
* A2 - Define which censorship scenarios we are going to address.
* O2 en IFF : https://pad.riseup.net/p/iff-bridgedb-usability-2020-keep
* A3 - Identify which bridge selection and distribution methods are most used in targeted regions.
* Anyone want to mentor a student developer during the summer? We have time to apply until early February.
Ideas from last year: https://2019.www.torproject.org/getinvolved/volunteer.html.en#Coding
== Actions ==
== Interesting links ==
== Updates ==
- What you worked on this week.
- What you are planning to work on next week (related to anti-censorship work).
- Something you may need help with.
Started restoring Twitter Responder.
When retrieving tweets I need to check for new tweets only otherwise Gettor will end up responding to old back log and already answered messages. <-- is this #27330 ?
- Work on gettor specs <-- Is this #3781?
- More with review of strings and website content and translation
This week (2019-12-19):
* Filed #32740 to build a feedback loop between OONI and BridgeDB.
* Followed up on old email conversation with two university contacts, asking if they can run default bridges.
* Reviewed #32712.
* Worked with karsten to add BridgeDB to Tor Metrics in #32135.
* Wrote patches for new default bridge at UMN (#32547); already blocked by GFW.
* Started thinking about anti-censorship presentation in Austria.
* Lots of work (but little progress) on porting BridgeDB to Python 3.
* Attended meeting about TTP grant and read draft beforehand.
* Provided a bit of feedback for #31011 (bridge authority should reject bridges with private addresses).
Last week (Dec 16th):
* s30 tracking
This week (planned): AFK until January 9th. I'm on signal if needed
cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2019-12-12
- merged snowflake test coverage improvements (#29259, #32300)
- worked on a fix for gettor update script filling up disk space (#32712)
- thought about how to tackle gitlab provider for gettor (#32711)
- filed a gettor ticket for keeping track of provider reachability (#32716)
- reviewed #32499 and #30716
- ran some tests for #31971
- continue snowflake health checks and looked at censorship in china (#32657)
- continued looking into Windows issue (#31971)
- worked on grant
On vacation Dec 13 - Jan 1 (inclusive). Reachable by signal if it's urgent, will occassionally check email
- review of #32712
- merged #32499
- read up on turbo tunnel
- pick a new task (#31902, #31201, #19026, ?)
- posted a branch of meek with turbo tunnel - https://github.com/net4people/bbs/issues/21
- wrote a summary of the upcoming research paper on censorship in Russia - https://github.com/net4people/bbs/issues/20
- merged a Snowflake pull request re the proxy build - https://github.com/keroserene/snowflake/pull/46
- decommission old broker (#32502)
- turbo tunnel in Snowflake
- was looking for a good first ticket and found https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/31011, I'll give it
it a try this week if that seems reasonable?
- it looks like it has a companion ticket of https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/31009 which just needs
someone to take a patch from Trac and put it in a GitHub PR
More information about the tor-project