[tor-project] Tor Browser Team Meeting Notes, 16 December 2019

Matthew Finkel sysrqb at torproject.org
Tue Dec 17 21:47:12 UTC 2019

Hello!

We held our weekly meeting on Monday. The logs are available
http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting2/2019/tor-meeting2.2019-12-16-18.30.log.txt
.

This was a short meeting. This was also the last scheduled Tor Browser
Team meeting of 2019 (!). The next team meeting will be on 6 January,
2020.

We have a Tor Browser release coming on 7 January, so all of our patches
should be ready for that release by the end of this week. We are having
a Tor Browser Release meeting on Wednesday (18 Dec).

Finally, I'd like to thank Georg (GeKo, gk) for his fearless leadership
of Tor Browser for many years. As he moves onto new and interesting
challenges on the Network Health team, he will be missed on this team
(although we know he is not too far away). We wish him the best of luck.

Have happy holidays everyone!

=============
Week of December 16, 2019

    Next team meeting
    Release prep

pospeselr:
    Last week:
        - pushed updated patch for #32116 (tor-browser mozconfig fixes)
        - Mozilla 1594455 and 1601040 revisions
        - a bit of 30570 work
    This week:
        - 31855 (remove end of year fundraising campaign)
        - offline this week after Monday, but back from afk on Wednesday

mcs and brade:
    Last week:
        - Sponsor 27 work:
            - #19757 (permanent storage of client auth keys and
associated management UI).
                - We posted work-in-progress screenshots here:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/19757#comment:18
                - Remaining work is mainly to make the UI functional by
hooking it up with control port commands.
            - Added tickets and comments to the S27 report pad:
https://pad.riseup.net/p/aAZQ_UDNrJiwSRxTrFoK
        - Created a patch for #32674 (Change about:tor ‘Get involved' to
point to new community portal).
        - Completed code review for #21952 (Onion-Location).
    This week/upcoming:
        - #32636 (Clean up locales shipped with Tor Launcher).
        - We will be taking time off from Tor work starting 19-December
(this Thursday); back on 6-January-2020.

sysrqb:
    Last week:
        Finished most team lead transition items
        Began testing #28764 and #28765
        Discovered CMake broke nightly builds #32741
        Began updating security-slider part of the design doc
    This week:
        Looking at a possible crash (maybe Android-specific) #32744
        Continue updating design doc
        Release prep
        Triaging tickets

boklm:
    Last week:
        - Worked on #18867 subtickets:
            - Setup generation of incrementals (#25101) and fixed #32738
(If the linux64 mar-tools does not exist, we should use the other
mar-tools available)
            - Signing of nightly sha256sums files with gpg (#32750 and
#32751)
            - Started a script to sign nightly mar files and publish
them (#25102), and subtickets
            - Started a script to generate a mar signing key for nightly
builds (#31988)
        - Some reviews:
            - #32053 ((Tor Browser bundles based on Firefox 68 ESR are
not reproducible (LLVM optimization issue))
            - #32739 (Bump clang to 8.0.1)
        - Looked at android build issue (#32761)
        - Looked at blog comments
    This week:
        - Try to finish the work on #18867 (Ship auto-updates for Tor
Browser nightly channel)
        - Look at macOS signing situation

Jeremy Rand:
    Last week:
        - Addressed Georg's review so far on #30558.
    This week:
        - Address whatever additional review happens on #30558.
        - Review boklm's rebased #30334 patch.

Pili:
    Last week:
        - Browser Proposal meetings and revisions
        - BugSmashFund tagging
        - Some trac triage
        - General roadmap gardneing
    This week:
        - Wrapping up things before vacation
        - afk from Friday 20th December 2019 - Monday 6th January 2020 -
back on January 7th (probably)
        - ping me if there is anything urgent you need me to look at
before I go

GeKo:

    - Last week:

    - helped a bit with OTF proposal

    - #31597 (almost done), #25021

    - more old ticket triage

    - reviews (#30558, #32741, #32751, #26861, #27045, #32750)

    - more RLBox work in spare time (not much, though, alas)

    - a bit HackerOne work

    - spent some time deobfuscating JavaScript malware served in a fake
Tor Browser

    - This week:

    - finish #31597

    - work on #25021

    - reviews

    - more ticket triage

    - finish up some loose ends from my Tor Browser ToDo list

Antonela

    - reviewed #21952