[tor-project] Tor Browser team meeting notes, 18 June 2018

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Tue Jun 19 11:50:00 UTC 2018

Hello!

Status updates and news from Tor Browser land after the Mozilla All
Hands meeting got discussed yesterday at our weekly meeting. The chat
log can be found at:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2018/tor-meeting.2018-06-18-18.01.log.txt

The notes from our pad are:

Tor Browser Meeting Notes
Monday, June 18, 2018

    -"status:" update
    -Quo vadis sandboxing? [GeKo: sysrqb is updating the sandbox plans
he had and we get together on IRC to hammer out details]
    -Tracking issues in Trac
    -release preparations (blocker 1) and 2) from last week got solved,
no new ones showed up, only 3) is left for the alpha)
      -which UX features need to get into the first alpha

          - .onion padlock indicator

          - circuit display

          - Tor Browser icon update

     - about:tor without onboarding?

    -next meeting
    - sysrqb: Confirming, we should base TBA on 60ESR, yes? [GeKo: yes]
    - igt0: Thinking about TBA, are we going to release a new orbot
version as well? [GeKo: No, that's still the GuardianProject's job]
    - igt0: Service workers added lot of new APIs, I was not able to
find out tickets about it (a master ticket), Is someone taking a look?
[GeKo: We don't need that for now as service worksers are still disabled
in the ESR60, we have #15563 for general service workers related work]

sukhe:
  Last Week:
    - Finalized #26203, #26326, #26204, #25837 (Windows build issues;
merged) and prepared #23561 (NSIS 64bit) for review
    - Attended Summer Institute
  This Week:
    - Work on #26319 (Don't package up the whole Tor Browser in the
`mach package` step), #26251 (Adapt macOS snowflake compilation to new
toolchain)
    - I am offline on Wed June 20

mcs and brade:
  Last week:
    - Triage some new/incoming tickets:
        - #26346 (Update prompt from 7.5.5 to the same version)
        - #26350 (MacOS Tor Browser cannot bind to port)
        - #26375 (On Mac, cannot have Tor Browser and Tor Browser Alpha
side by side)
        - #26381 (about:tor page does not load on first start in
localized Windows bundle)
    - Helped with #26045 (Create a new MAR signing key for ESR60)
    - Helped with #26355 (Make sure only Windows users on Windows7+ are
trying to use Tor Browser based on ESR60
    - Completed review for #23247 (Communicating security expectations
for .onion).
    - Continued with #22074 (Review Firefox Developer Docs and
Undocumented bugs since FF52esr).
  This week:
    - Continue with #22074 (Review Firefox Developer Docs and
Undocumented bugs since FF52esr).
        - This is going slowly, so we are trying to find a way to speed
up the review.
    - #26381 (about:tor page does not load on first start in localized
Windows bundle) GeKo: Do you want us to work on this ticket? [Please go
ahead, I probably won't get to it, GeKo]

sysrqb:
    Last week:
        - At Mozilla All-Hands
        - Participated in conversations about Firefox sandboxing
        - Learned about Mozilla's plans for Firefox/Gecko on Android
        - Many more things
    This week:
        - Push Tor Browser 60ESR branch with TBA patches for review
        - Work on cross-platform Tor Browser sandboxing plan
        - Begin auditing code for proxy-safety (#21863)

GeKo:
    Last week:
        -made progress on the network audit (#22176)
        -help with the Windows nightly builds (we seem to be good here
now as well)
        -went over the UX tickets relevant for tor browser 8
        -fixed up my rustc ticket (#26329) and some other small stuff
(#23231, #26304)
        -reviews (#26329, #25837, #26203, #23247, #26396)
    This week:
        -fix for #26362 (create old-style MAR files)
        -test Mozilla fixes for bug 1413868 and 1421081, possible
backport of a crash bug fix
        -continuing network audit (#22176)
        -reviews
        -release preparations and building/signing releases

igt0:
    Last week:
        - Tested torbutton with FF60
        - started investigating strategies to detect APK tampering.
(Since we are going to allow the user to install from different places
#26242).
    This week:
        - Define and implement update strategy(ies) for TBA (#26242)
        - Consider different installation methods (#26318)

boklm:
    Last week:
        - reviewed some patches:
            - #26329: Fix Rust cross-compilation for 32bit Windows
            - #26203: Adapt tor-browser-build firefox and tor-browser
project for ESR 60 Windows build
            - #26304: Update zlib to latest version
            - #23231: Error in STL wrappers when building Firefox 64-bit
for Windows
            - #26250: Bump Rust version to 1.26.1
            - #23561: Fix nsis builds for Windows 64
        - made patches for:
            - #26354: Make sure only Linux users with SSE2 support are
trying to use Tor Browser based on ESR60
            - #26370: Don't copy msvcr100.dll and libssp-0.dll twice
            - #26206: Ship pthread related dll with tor
            - #26396: libwinpthread we ship in Windows builds is not
built reproducible
    This week:
        - help building the new releases
        - doing some reviews
        - plan travel for mexico meeting
        - continue investigating build issue with #12968 (HEASLR)
        - fill upstream binutils ticket for #26148
        - continue work on some ansible roles for testsuite VMs setup
(#26149)

pospeselr:
    Last week:
        - Mozilla All-Hands
        - patch for #26039 (extension-overrides.js no long being a thing
in ESR60)
    This week:
        - fix up #23247 (onion lock icons) with final bits of feedback
        - verify #26039 fix works
        - go through the outreachy intern's issues spreadsheet
        - #26355

arthuredelstein:
    Last week:
        - Mozilla all hands meeting
        - Worked on reviewing HTTP/2 code including origin frames and AltSvc
   This week (as described last time):
       - Help with build as needed
         - Finish a patch for https://trac.torproject.org/25555
(reimplement optimistic socks)