[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 3 December 2018

teor teor at riseup.net
Mon Dec 10 00:50:59 UTC 2018


Here's the network team meeting log and pad for last week.

The meeting log is at:

= Network team meeting pad! =

Last week's team meeting was on Tuesday at 2300 UTC on #tor-meeting on OFTC.
This week's team meeting is at Monday at 1800 UTC.

Welcome to our meeting!
First meeting each month: Tuesday at 2300 UTC
Other meetings each month: Mondays at 1800 UTC
On #tor-meeting on OFTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.)
(See https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

After each week's meetings, the contents of this pad will be sent to tor-project @ lists.torproject.org.  After that is done, the pad can be used for the next week.

== Previous notes ==
(Search the list archive for older notes.)
6 Nov: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-November/002047.html
12 Nov: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-November/002054.html
19 Nov: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-November/002074.html
26 Nov: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-November/002084.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* Let's check and update the roadmap.  What's done, and what's coming up?

url to roadmap: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ufrun1khEo5Cwd6OwngERn829wU3W3eskdrriaYfUBQ/edit#gid=856122210yy

* Check reviewer assignments at

Here are the outstanding reviews, oldest first:

* Also, let's check for things we need update on our spreadsheet!  Are there important documents we should link to?  Things we should archive?

* Check rotations at https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/TeamRotations

* Let's look at proposed tickets!

0.3.5 (bugs only): https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=merge_ready&status=needs_information&status=needs_review&status=needs_revision&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~035-roadmap-proposed&max=200&col=id&col=summary&col=milestone&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=component&order=priority

0.4.0: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=merge_ready&status=needs_information&status=needs_review&status=needs_revision&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~040-roadmap-proposed&max=200&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=component&order=priority

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing work for the next releases

* Remember to fill up actual point when you finish a task (as well as "fix" the estimate when starting the issue).
* Add planned PTO to the calendar https://storm.torproject.org/shared/ISA5L5nH0Xu88iqSCx9ZjCXYSMKOBTdbUeWarbdGmxx

* Check other's people call for help in their entries.

<< Remember that priority is Sponsor 8 - roadmap is sort out by priority >> Activity O2.5 is the one we are missing and need to be done by the end of December 2018.

---- 04 December 2018

== Announcements ==

This week's meeting is the first meeting in December, it's on Tuesday at 2300 UTC.
Next week we'll go back to Monday at 1800 UTC.

Please don't bulk-delete all the old entries from this pad any more.  Instead, delete the "planned" and "actual" for the previous week, but leave the "planned" for this week in place. Please check the dates before deleting.

== Discussion ==

Next network team meeting:

    * we will discuss Snowflake (who else go to work on it and discuss the issues we have in the roadmap - what came out of snowflake meeting that ahf leaded)

    * Let's change how we add proposed tickets to releases

    * We won't have meetings in the weeks of 24 and 31 December 2018
      Can we do a team meeting at 2300 UTC on Tuesday 8 January 2019?
      (teor can send out a reminder email in the last work week in December)

* Who needs help with reviews?
  Here are the outstanding reviews, oldest first:

* Can we add Core Tor/sbws to the bug triage, CI, and reviewer assignment (done!) roles?

* Is our process for "proposed" working? <-- we still didn't go through it yet
teor says: things seem to get stuck in proposed.

* Sponsor 8 is wrapping up in December. Right now working on this: catalyst, ahf, dgoulet, teor, nick. Any of you need help with it?
	• O2.5 (bootstrap reporting) is most important
	• REMINDER that it may be good to have this wrap up by December 20th the most.

* Please see tickets with tag "035-rc-blocker?" -- are any of them really rc blockers?  Are there any other true rc blockers?  https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=merge_ready&status=needs_information&status=needs_review&status=needs_revision&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~035-rc-blocker&milestone=%5ETor%3A+0.3.5.x-final&group=status&col=id&col=summary&col=keywords&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&order=priority

* Let's suspend discussion on role "reviewer" until January. ok?  https://pad.riseup.net/p/q0s3rQxVzSeZ

* Release schedule: any changes?

== Recommended links ==

Blameless Post-Mortems and a Just Culture

Software Defined Delivery Manifesto

== Updates ==


    Week of XYZ (planned):
        - What you planned for last week.
    Week of XYZ (actual):
        - What you did last week.
    Week of ABC (planned):
        - What you're planning to do this week.
    Help with:
	•      - Something you may need help with.


Leave the "Planned" parts!
Leave the parts for last week and this week!


    Week of 11/26 (planned):
        - book travel for brussels
        - meeting wrt privcount, tuesday, I think
        - review & merge aggressively
        - help everybody with deliverables
        - Release so that it can make the mid-december TB release?
        - Triage rotation
        - Identify 035-rc-blocker issues?
    Week of 11/26 (actual):
        - Review and merge
        - Worked on dormant persistency code (#28624), but got off to a false start
        - Worked on debugging and analyzing OpenSSL 1.1.1a bug (#28616).
        - Sick Thurs
        - Circulate the whitepaper about datagram-based designs.
    Week of 12/3 (planned):
        - Attend Mozlando
        - Help as needed with proposal
        - Review and merge in my spare time
        - Possibly, return to dormant-persistency code (#28624)

        - I'm not here; I'm at the Mozilla meeting.

     Want help with:
        - Please help identify 035-rc-blocker issues, if any.


   Week of 11/26 (planned):
       - Return from vacation; pick up wtf-pad
   Week of 11/26 (actual):
       - Caught up on mail and stuff. Sort of.
       - Did a final pass on the datagram paper; looks ok.
       - Looked over asn and Riastradh's code and squashed and rebased it
       - Started work on more wtf-pad fixups.
    Week of 12/03 (hopefully):
        - Finish Nick's PR fixups on the wtf-pad branch
        - Work on more tests/high prio items
   Want help with:
       - Feeling a little worried that maybe squashing was not the best plan?
         - But there are sooooo many fixup commits tho that I'm worried about conflicts accumulating and the branch
           being harder for Nick to re-review. Plus asn has been making and squashing branches..
         - Nick: Is reviewing a squashed branch OK? I can still give you links to the various fixups
           for each of your github review commits.

Week of 11/26 (planned)
    Sponsor 8:
        - Work with David with review on #28179, once he is happy I'd very much
          like Nick to also have a look at especially the Windows code.
        - Continue with s8-bootstrap and #27100
        - Run simpleperf tests for #28409 and compare results.
    Sponsor 19:
        - Figure out next steps for candidates.
        - Meeting tomorrow at patch party time! Please have a look at
          https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/Snowflake before
          our meeting :-)
        - CI and coverity duty.
Week of 11/26 (actually)
    Sponsor 8:
        - Got a merge ready from David Goulet on #28179, moved to Nick's table.
        - Testet #26360 with #28179 changes and it seems to solve that issue as well.
        - Talked with Catalyst about the bootstrap situation for #27100 (see
          their excellent overview in #28281!)
    Sponsor 19:
        - Got a Bridge, Broker, Website (the JS part of Snowflake) and the
          client to run on my own infrastructure and laptop.
        - Working with dcf trying to figure out a bug in Snowflake where the
          connections gets terminated after a short while.
        - Snowflake network team kick off meeting.
        - CI: Fixed OpenSSL test failure for AppVeyor in ticket #28574.
        - Sysadmin interview.
Week of 12/03 (hopefully):
    Sponsor 8:
        - Finish off implementation of #27100 based on the orconn-track branch from Catalyst.
        - Upstream disable network patch to Orbot (#25497).
        - Simpleperf tests for #28409.
    Sponsor 19:
        - Write summary of meeting and create tickets.
        - Figure out where the issue is in my setup with termination of WS

    Week of 11/26 (planned):
    - Continue going through the WTF-PAD TODO list.
    - Open tickets for future work on Riastradh's probability distribution code
      that don't need to happen right now.
    Week of 11/26 (actual):
    - Continue crunching through WTF-PAD (#28142):
      - Finalized probability distribution code and tests and squashed it all
        up in https://github.com/torproject/tor/pull/547
      - Continued writing unittests for the rest of the code:
        Wrote unittests for histograms and token removal functions, fixed
        some bugs and did improvements along the way.
      - Summarized current work so that Mike can join in. Also organized the
        remaining tasks in some new master tickets:
        #28631 and its children #28632 and #28637
    - Revised various parts of the onion service proposal.
    - Continue helping with anti-censorship interviews and other hiring stuff.
    - Helped a researcher who is doing a project with HSDirs and PIR.
    - Help with #28275.
    - Did weekly reviews (#28012, #28266).
    Week of 12/03 (planned):
    - Continue helping with WTF-PAD work. Hoping to push the branch out to Nick
      for review at the end of the week or the start of the next. Coordinate
      with Mike on how to achieve this.
    - Continue helping with anti-censorship hiring.
    - CI/coverity duty.
    - Do weekly reviews.
    Help with:
    - Mike, how should we split remaining WTF-PAD work? I've been writing tests
      for way too long and I would like a break. Do you want me to handle the
      remaining GH comments in PR#461, and you take care of the tests for this
      week? Any other suggestions?
      - Yes I am overwhelmed with fixups and have been struggling to get the motivation to do a huge pile more. Plus
        branches are getting unweildy with all of them. Maybe switching to testing will be a better plan.
        I have one more typedef-clarification fixup I've been working on that is pretty big, but helpful I hope.
        Let me get that in and then we can sync branches and switch. - Mike

    Week of 11/26 (planned):
      - Finalizing #28179 with ahf for upstream merge. I expects the branch to
        be ready for nickm's considerations today or tomorrow at worst.
      - Work on the remaining part of #25502, a s8 master ticket. Finalizing
        specs within #28180 to match implementation.
      - Whatever comes my way for s8 at that point.
    Week of 11/26 (actual):
      - Finished review and testing on #28179. It is in merge_ready now.
      - Updated the spec for #28179, they are in #28180.
      - Reviewed other s8 tickets: #28335, #28429.
      - Fixed various HSv3 bugs including an _old_ issue in the test: #28660.
        The #28669 took me a bit of time to figure out.
      - Helped a bit asn with the OTF onion proposal.
      - I've gone over the 035 tickets, flagged the one I think *must* be in
        and did patches for some. At this moment, they are all merged or in
    Week of 12/03 (planned):
      - Again, any s8 priority tasks that arise. For now, I have none lined up
        so hit me with those if you need me for s8.
      - I have one ticket that needs to be addressed part of s8 for 0.4.0
        (maybe for 0.3.5 if I can get it in before rc!): #25899.
      - Considering my "on call" status for s8, I'll jump into prop289, my next
        task on the roadmap (non-s8).

gaba (will have to leave mid-meeting):

    Week of 11/25 (actual):
     - anti-censorship interview
     - gettor meeting to check on work and move it forward between teams
     - snowflake meeting and start planning
    Week of 12/3 (planned):
     - helping with onion services proposal
     - ooni work
     - snowflake follow up
    help with:
     - communicating anything about sponsor8-bootstrap help/needs and progress


    week of 11/26 (2018-W48) (planned):
        - proof of concept for orconn-tracker (#27167)
        - travel request for Brussels
        - reviews (priority on the sponsor8 ones)
    week of 11/26 (2018-W48) (actual):
        - pull request for #27402
        - worked on a hash table for orconn-tracker
        - chatted with arma and others about why there seem to be two kinds of state change events in connection_or.c
        - reviewed #24661, #28554 (clock skew guard selection stuff)
        - wrote summary of proposed new list of bootstrap phases at #28281
        - chatted more with ahf about #27100
        - started enumerating places in connection_or.c where we call one kind of state change function but not another
    week of 12/03 (2018-W49) (planned):
        - time off 12/05-12/07
        - travel request for Brussels
        - make more progress on orconn-tracker (#27167)
        - reviews
    help with:

    help with:

teor (online, this week only!):

Week of 26 Nov (planned):
        - Send tor-dev email about next week's meeting time (on Thursday, to avoid confusion)
        - Continue to work on s8 bootstrap tickets
          - accept clock skew for 24 hours in the future, as well as in the past
          - integration testing for clock skew?
        - up to 1 day of sbws reviews
        - Metrics job applications
        - Code reviews

Week of 26 Nov (actual):
        - Sent tor-dev meeting time email
        - Funding proposal review
        - Continued to work on s8 bootstrap tickets
          - accept clock skew for 24 hours in the future, as well as in the past
        - Unexpected macOS upgrade failure, and backup failure
        - I was off work for a day for some medical appointments
        - a day and a half of sbws reviews and tickets
        - Metrics job applications
        - Code reviews
        - Deferred the PrivCount blog post, because sbws is taking my extra time

Week of 3 Dec (planned):
        - I am on bug triage this week
        - Get my macOS install working again
        - Continue to work on s8 bootstrap tickets
            - integration testing for clock skew?
            - chutney CI
            - earlier s8 bugfixes
        - up to 1 day of sbws reviews
        - Metrics job applications
        - Code reviews

Revised Plan:
        - Do revisions on s8 bootstrap tickets
        - Need to update the fallback directory mirrors, they are causing bootstrap issues
            - Ask metrics to monitor bootstrap speed
            - Tweak bootstrap settings to work when lots of fallbacks are down
            - Also on networks that drop packets
        - Update the reviewer, bug triage, and CI roles (and links) to include sbws
        - Send pad and meeting notes to tor-project

Week of 3 Dec (actual):
        - Bug triage
        - I have a working macOS install, with backups that should actually work
        - Continued to work on s8 bootstrap tickets:
            - Rebuilt the fallback list, because it was causing slow bootstraps (#24786 and children, #28702, #28703)
            - Fuzzy match the fallback whitelist (#24838)
            - Updated the fallback script to match tor's reasonably live consensus checks (#28571)
        - 1.5 days of of sbws reviews, no more sbws this week
        - Code reviews
        - Metrics job applications
        - Other small tickets

        - Looking forward to writing big chunks of Rust in 2019

    Help with:

juga (offline):

    - Week 11/26 (plan)
        - continue with the work to monitor relays that are not measured
        - continue with the work to include the consensus measured bandwidth when calculating the minimum of the descriptors' bandwith
        - maybe some sbws refactoring
    - Week 11/26 (actual)
        - worked on monitor relays that are not measured
        - worked on include the consensus bandwidth when calculating the minimum of the descriptors' bandwith
        - removed broken links in documentation
        - changed http links to https in the documentation
        - include configuration file example in deploy documentation
        - worked on making CI to check for broken links in the documentation
        - create ticket for refactoring and started to collect ideas
    - Week 12/3 (plan)
        - continue with the work to monitor relays that are not measured: start using and external tool and/or add keyvalues that doesn't big modifications to the code
        - Update install and deploy documentation based on Torflow's documentation
        - disable connection padding in sbws' Tor
    - Help with:
        - need_review tickets: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/report/72 (currently none of them change code functionality)



-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 833 bytes
Desc: Message signed with OpenPGP
URL: <http://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/attachments/20181210/7fc3aa85/attachment.sig>

More information about the tor-project mailing list