[tor-project] Future of Tor Messenger

Sukhbir Singh sukhbir at torproject.org
Wed Oct 25 15:38:12 UTC 2017

* Alison Macrina:

> I also think this is a really cool brainstorm and I agree with Isa and
> George about uniting Tor's products around common themes.
>
> I also want to flag that the email part of Sukhbir's original idea is a
> really essential component. Email is used way more than chat. Popular
> email providers, like gmail, don't work very well in Tor Browser (they
> work just fine in Thunderbird). The filesharing extension would solve
> some of the needs people have with email, but not all. I don't know how
> to reconcile this, just acknowledging that it remains a problem.

That's a great point as well. So if we do go with chat in Tor Browser, we will
still continue maintaining TorBirdy because other than what you mentioned
about Gmail not being supported, Thunderbird offers support for add-ons like
Enigmail which people prefer as compared to browser alternatives like
Mailvelope.

So regardless of the decision we make, I think we will continue working on
TorBirdy because the only alternative to that is using email in the browser :)

--
Sukhbir