[tor-project] Future of Tor Messenger

Alison Macrina alison at torproject.org
Wed Oct 25 15:03:00 UTC 2017

George Kadianakis:
> isabela <isabela at torproject.org> writes:
>
>> On 10/24/17 17:11, Sukhbir Singh wrote:
<snip>

>> Latter on it could even grow with more features like a .onion service
>> file sharing thing (like onionshare)..
>>

> Yes! Yes! More features for Tor users!

First I wanna thank Sukhbir for providing this really detailed workplan
and his commitment to giving Tor users a safer way to email and chat.

I also think this is a really cool brainstorm and I agree with Isa and
George about uniting Tor's products around common themes.

I also want to flag that the email part of Sukhbir's original idea is a
really essential component. Email is used way more than chat. Popular
email providers, like gmail, don't work very well in Tor Browser (they
work just fine in Thunderbird). The filesharing extension would solve
some of the needs people have with email, but not all. I don't know how
to reconcile this, just acknowledging that it remains a problem.

Alison