[tor-project] Analyzing bwauth disagreements

dawuud dawuud at riseup.net
Mon Oct 9 15:34:15 UTC 2017

Hi Tom et al,

I hope I'm not too far off topic here:

I remember from the last tor-dev meeting there was some discussion
about replacing the old torflow code with bwscanner a project that
Aaron Gibson started and Donncha subsequently worked on. But since
there I haven't heard of any progress on that.

Also I have recently done a few small scans for 2-hop circuit
connectivity and shared some of the results with Roger on
#tor-dev. One theory is that many of the circuit failures are due to
traffic spikes at certain hours of the day.

I was thinking that many of the relay to relay connectivity problems
could be fixed by adjusting the consensus weights or capping their
consensus bandwidth...  and that this scanning of "network partitions"
shouldn't only be an interesting research project but should probably
be a part of the bandwidth authority system.

Meejah and I were planning to facilitate a workshop/discussion about
these and other issues related to scanning the tor network. Are you
coming to the meeting in Montreal?

Cheers,
David