[tor-project] Analyzing bwauth disagreements

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Mon Oct 9 15:50:04 UTC 2017

On 9 October 2017 at 10:34, dawuud <dawuud at riseup.net> wrote:

> Hi Tom et al,
>
> I hope I'm not too far off topic here:

Nope!

> I remember from the last tor-dev meeting there was some discussion
> about replacing the old torflow code with bwscanner a project that
> Aaron Gibson started and Donncha subsequently worked on. But since
> there I haven't heard of any progress on that.

No. AFAIK the code is still at
https://github.com/TheTorProject/bwscanner.git and waiting to be
tested. I intend to test it 'soon' (f a value of 'soon' that might
stretch into 4-5 months) and see how its results compare.

> Also I have recently done a few small scans for 2-hop circuit
> connectivity and shared some of the results with Roger on
> #tor-dev. One theory is that many of the circuit failures are due to
> traffic spikes at certain hours of the day.
>
> I was thinking that many of the relay to relay connectivity problems
> could be fixed by adjusting the consensus weights or capping their
> consensus bandwidth...  and that this scanning of "network partitions"
> shouldn't only be an interesting research project but should probably
> be a part of the bandwidth authority system.

I saw that! Or at least part of it! Awesome work!

> Meejah and I were planning to facilitate a workshop/discussion about
> these and other issues related to scanning the tor network. Are you
> coming to the meeting in Montreal?

No. Sorry. =/

Your proposal makes sense to me superficially for sure. I don't own
torflow really, I just try and help it keep limping along. I'm not
qualified enough to say it's a good idea or a bad idea, or how we
could measure its results or what. =)

-tom