[tor-project] Network Team meeting notes, 2 Oct 2017

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Mon Oct 2 17:48:04 UTC 2017

Hi, all!

You can see the logs from this week's network team meeting at
http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2017/tor-meeting.2017-10-02-16.59.html
.

Below are the notes we typed into the meeting pad.

=============
Tor network team meeting pad, 2 Oct 2017

Note new meeting location: #tor-meeting on OFTC!
 (See https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

Last week's notes:
    * https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001457.html

Discussion topics:

Things to do before Montreal:
    * Teams rotation for October:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/TeamRotations#Calendar
    * RSVP for team dinner in montreal!  See network-team ML for info.
    * Learn some Rust!  https://github.com/chelseakomlo/rust_kata
    * Sleep; take care of yourselves; try not to show up burned-out. ;)
    * RUST HACKATHON STARTS 10:30am on Monday; please arrive by 10:00am!

Nick:
    * Last week

    * Wrote a bunch of unit tests

    * Did some research on async io in Rust

    * Hunted a few bugs (including 8185, 23690); helped with some others

    * Helped some with upcoming 0.3.2.2-alpha

    * Reviewed and merged various tickets

* Looked at test coverage diffs between 0.3.1 and 0.3.2: we have some
problems. Summary: although our coverage rate is up, we have ~500 more
uncovered lines than we had before.  To find out where they are, have
a look at https://people.torproject.org/~nickm/volatile/coverage-diff-summary
.  For epecific lines, see
https://people.torproject.org/~nickm/volatile/coverage-diff.xz .  For
history:

* 0.2.9: 30014 uncovered; 27157 covered: 47.50% covered

* 0.3.0: 29520 uncovered; 30288 covered: 50.64% covered

* 0.3.1: 30629 uncovered; 34805 covered: 53.19% covered

* 0.3.2: 31138 uncovered; 38385 covered: 55.21% covered

    * This week
       * Meet with isabela for misc planning

    * PETS review

    * Encourage people to defer, fix, fix, defer, etc.

    * Time permitting, look forward to sponsor8 stuff.

    * New England Systems Verification Day (Friday)

    * Montreal prep TBD

    * Help more with 0.3.2.2-alpha stuff

    * Prep for 0.3.1.8 as needed?

dgoulet:
  * Last week:
    - Work on prop224 tickets. We've postponed the IPv6 + Single onion service
      discussion until Montreal.
    - Spent some time debugging scheduler KIST issues which turned out to be
      more deeper issues within tor: #23709, #23710, #23711, #23712
    - Worked on ticket from the 032 milestone including review/triage/patches.
      Nothing big though, most of it was hs/sched related.
  * This week:
    - Continue the 032 milestone work. Some prop224 and scheduler stuff needs
      to be done for the stable.
    - I want to prep for the IPv6 hackfest in Montreal next week with teor.
      Many issues in the hidden service subsystem that I want to document
      properly before that.
    - Need some prep as well for the circuit building expiring logic for
      hidden service for which I want/need to sit down with Mike for this in
      Montreal (mostly related to #3733).

teor: (offline, leave this week)
  Last week:
    * finish off a bunch of experimental PrivCount features and bug fixes
    * review Shamir secret sharing proposal
    * prepare to travel to Montreal (so many bits of paper!)
    * I think there's some tor coding I forgot, too
  This week:
    * week off: rest, casual coding, enjoy Montreal

ahf:
    Last week:
        Sponsor 4:
        - Fixed Zstd regression in #23551
        Sponsor 8:
        - Roger found an issue with the HS we used to do our download test
          with. We fixed this using JavaScript to download the file in the
          browser and report back the results to the server.
        Release work:
        - Meeting with Isis and Nick about what needs to be done before the
          release.
        - Reviewed: #23691, #23690
    This week:
        - Roll 0.3.2.2-alpha together with Isis.
        - Prepare for Montreal meeting. Leaving on Friday (and will by in the
          air almost the entire day).
        - Finish Rust toy project.
        - Update the Sponsor 8 HS to allow the testers to specify their country
          when doing the testing.
        - Go over things I haven't gotten around to in the last week:
go over old
          bugs, end of month tasks

asn
  Last week:
  - Reviewed #23662 and #23603 for prop224. Worked on #23493.
  - Reviewed #23100.
  - Worked on #23672. Now ready for merge..
  - Did some more debugging on #21969 ("missing primary guard
    descriptors"). This bug is still alive and a more edge-casey than before so
    harder to debug. It occured on my service a few days ago, and left it
    hanging for 28 hours until I restarted it. We also received more reports of
    this on trac. Needs more hardcore debugging + #23671 + #23670.
  - Helped tommy with the upcoming blog post calling for prop224 testing.
  - Revamped the prop224 wiki page some more:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/NextGenOnions
  This week:
  - More prop224 testing/bugfixing/planning.
  - Prepare for Montreal meeting.
  - More reviews as needed.

catalyst:
    last week (2017-W39):
        - bug triage
        - reviewed some patches (including #23643 -- Type-check struct
members that are passed to confparse)
        - more #20532 investigation
        - Tor Launcher progress bar meeting
        - fixed a leak in tests (#23691)
    this week (2017-W40):
        - somewhat slowed down by respiratory virus
        - Montreal travel prep
        - patches for #20532
        - more bootstrap progress reporting improvements

komlo:
    last week:
        - Submitted #22840 (review for this would be great before Montreal)
    this week:
        - prep for rust hackfest

pastly: last week: more kist bug wrangling with dgoulet

isabela:
    Last week:
        - Worked on progress bar error msgs and synced with
catalyst+mcs https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jZNFYXzii7A6gCTJtvpO-PAO-WNZa2RuEEXYJwxC-BA/edit#heading=h.uofqzhu6iwgf
        - Got tests for our network speed done in a some of our target
countries, hope to have 100% coverage for october tests (was important
to have measurements for september tho)
    This week:
        - organize prep work for team roadmap session in montreal
        - get devs survey done in form format and send it to
developers: https://storm.torproject.org/shared/_OX6xP4qVbt5BObbZ5EhCSWOh7snk3O_5iqoaesOKc7

isis:
    last week:
        - preparation for releasing 0.3.2.2-alpha
        - more work on the captcha server to fix some bugs found while
writing tests #15697
        - started on moat backend #22871
        - organising meeting sessions
    this week:
        - finish #22871
        - go over komlo's rust protover patches on #22840