[tor-project] Network Team meeting notes, 2 Oct 2017
nickm at torproject.org
Mon Oct 2 17:48:04 UTC 2017
You can see the logs from this week's network team meeting at
Below are the notes we typed into the meeting pad.
Tor network team meeting pad, 2 Oct 2017
Note new meeting location: #tor-meeting on OFTC!
Last week's notes:
Things to do before Montreal:
* Teams rotation for October:
* RSVP for team dinner in montreal! See network-team ML for info.
* Learn some Rust! https://github.com/chelseakomlo/rust_kata
* Sleep; take care of yourselves; try not to show up burned-out. ;)
* RUST HACKATHON STARTS 10:30am on Monday; please arrive by 10:00am!
* Last week
* Wrote a bunch of unit tests
* Did some research on async io in Rust
* Hunted a few bugs (including 8185, 23690); helped with some others
* Helped some with upcoming 0.3.2.2-alpha
* Reviewed and merged various tickets
* Looked at test coverage diffs between 0.3.1 and 0.3.2: we have some
problems. Summary: although our coverage rate is up, we have ~500 more
uncovered lines than we had before. To find out where they are, have
a look at https://people.torproject.org/~nickm/volatile/coverage-diff-summary
. For epecific lines, see
https://people.torproject.org/~nickm/volatile/coverage-diff.xz . For
* 0.2.9: 30014 uncovered; 27157 covered: 47.50% covered
* 0.3.0: 29520 uncovered; 30288 covered: 50.64% covered
* 0.3.1: 30629 uncovered; 34805 covered: 53.19% covered
* 0.3.2: 31138 uncovered; 38385 covered: 55.21% covered
* This week
* Meet with isabela for misc planning
* PETS review
* Encourage people to defer, fix, fix, defer, etc.
* Time permitting, look forward to sponsor8 stuff.
* New England Systems Verification Day (Friday)
* Montreal prep TBD
* Help more with 0.3.2.2-alpha stuff
* Prep for 0.3.1.8 as needed?
* Last week:
- Work on prop224 tickets. We've postponed the IPv6 + Single onion service
discussion until Montreal.
- Spent some time debugging scheduler KIST issues which turned out to be
more deeper issues within tor: #23709, #23710, #23711, #23712
- Worked on ticket from the 032 milestone including review/triage/patches.
Nothing big though, most of it was hs/sched related.
* This week:
- Continue the 032 milestone work. Some prop224 and scheduler stuff needs
to be done for the stable.
- I want to prep for the IPv6 hackfest in Montreal next week with teor.
Many issues in the hidden service subsystem that I want to document
properly before that.
- Need some prep as well for the circuit building expiring logic for
hidden service for which I want/need to sit down with Mike for this in
Montreal (mostly related to #3733).
teor: (offline, leave this week)
* finish off a bunch of experimental PrivCount features and bug fixes
* review Shamir secret sharing proposal
* prepare to travel to Montreal (so many bits of paper!)
* I think there's some tor coding I forgot, too
* week off: rest, casual coding, enjoy Montreal
- Fixed Zstd regression in #23551
- Roger found an issue with the HS we used to do our download test
browser and report back the results to the server.
- Meeting with Isis and Nick about what needs to be done before the
- Reviewed: #23691, #23690
- Roll 0.3.2.2-alpha together with Isis.
- Prepare for Montreal meeting. Leaving on Friday (and will by in the
air almost the entire day).
- Finish Rust toy project.
- Update the Sponsor 8 HS to allow the testers to specify their country
when doing the testing.
- Go over things I haven't gotten around to in the last week:
go over old
bugs, end of month tasks
- Reviewed #23662 and #23603 for prop224. Worked on #23493.
- Reviewed #23100.
- Worked on #23672. Now ready for merge..
- Did some more debugging on #21969 ("missing primary guard
descriptors"). This bug is still alive and a more edge-casey than before so
harder to debug. It occured on my service a few days ago, and left it
hanging for 28 hours until I restarted it. We also received more reports of
this on trac. Needs more hardcore debugging + #23671 + #23670.
- Helped tommy with the upcoming blog post calling for prop224 testing.
- Revamped the prop224 wiki page some more:
- More prop224 testing/bugfixing/planning.
- Prepare for Montreal meeting.
- More reviews as needed.
last week (2017-W39):
- bug triage
- reviewed some patches (including #23643 -- Type-check struct
members that are passed to confparse)
- more #20532 investigation
- Tor Launcher progress bar meeting
- fixed a leak in tests (#23691)
this week (2017-W40):
- somewhat slowed down by respiratory virus
- Montreal travel prep
- patches for #20532
- more bootstrap progress reporting improvements
- Submitted #22840 (review for this would be great before Montreal)
- prep for rust hackfest
pastly: last week: more kist bug wrangling with dgoulet
- Worked on progress bar error msgs and synced with
- Got tests for our network speed done in a some of our target
countries, hope to have 100% coverage for october tests (was important
to have measurements for september tho)
- organize prep work for team roadmap session in montreal
- get devs survey done in form format and send it to
- preparation for releasing 0.3.2.2-alpha
- more work on the captcha server to fix some bugs found while
writing tests #15697
- started on moat backend #22871
- organising meeting sessions
- finish #22871
- go over komlo's rust protover patches on #22840
More information about the tor-project