[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 25 Sep
nickm at torproject.org
Tue Sep 26 15:42:23 UTC 2017
Hi! Our meeting notes for yesterday are below. We had a problem with
meetbot, and don't have logs for this week; with luck we'll have that
straightened out by next week.
Network team meeting, 25 September 2017
Last week's notes: how did we do?
After this meeting, please:
* Check everything assigned to you in 0.3.1 and 0.3.2. Should it
be? Should it be deferred?
* Check new and needs-info stuff in 0.3.1 and 0.3.2. Anything
there that you should/could be handling?
* Mark essential 0.3.2.2-alpha stuff with "0.3.2.2-alpha-must".
* Last week (or two):
* Fixed a nasty bug in Experimental PrivCount that ignored most
* Added intro and rend failure reasons to Experimental PrivCount
* Fixed a bug in Tor's HS stats noise, but we're missing a
* anyone want to write a working round_int64_to_next_multiple_of?
* Found a bunch of little bugs in Tor connections and HS v3,
fixed some of them
* Fixed some tor-spec bugs, reviewed others
* Did some thinking about the longclaw move (we'll be fine) #23592
* Fell down the single onion service v3 IPv6 hole, trying to dig
out again #23493
* This week:
* Count the number of simultaneous connections per IP in
* Complete the HSDir events for Experimental PrivCount
* Get ready to travel to the dev meeting
* I'll be on leave next week, until the hackfest / dev meeting
* Last week:
- 5 releases on monday
- Worked on a bunch of spec-related fixes.
- Removed many tickets from 032 -- look for "032-deferred" or
"032-unreached" items in Unspecified
- Reviewed and merged a whole bunch of fixes
- Tried to help diagnose a bunch of bugs and continue to triage things.
- Worked on small/persistent/annoying bugs
- Integrated scan-build to run nightly as part of my tor-auto stuff.
- Automated lintchanges as part of "make check"
* This week:
- Sleep more
- Help ahf and isis with release, targetting early next week (Monday?)
- Continue fixing bugs
- Write more proposals for 033 and beyond
- Encourage people to defer, fix, fix, defer, etc.
- Time permitting, look forward to sponsor8 stuff.
- Montreal prep
- Still sick and feverish.. Seeing doctor today...
[asn: sounds like a lovecraft diary! get well soon!!!]
* Last week:
- Bug hunting on KIST and HSv3. Analyzing logs and trying to figure out
- Addressing tickets in 032 related to scheduler and hidden service.
- Review tickets in the 032 milestone
- Some ticket triage happened as well.
* This week:
- Pretty much the same as above, I plan to continue addressing 032 tickets
especially the hidden service v3 ones.
- Work out with teor and asn the single onion service v3 IPv6 fix (#23493)
- Final round of review for protover-rust from isis- if all goes
well, I will be submitting a patch early next week.
- Preparing for the Rust hackfest in Montreal- will update the
schedule based on asn's feedback this week.
* last week:
- help dgoulet fix KIST bugs
* this week:
- keep fixing KIST bugs as they appear
Last week (2017-W38):
- Opened some tickets about streamlining release engineering
- Fixed some clock skew reporting issues
- Wrote some commentary about bootstrap progress reporting
details in #22266
- Found #23623 (get_voting_schedule getting called 10k times
in 1 second)
- Lots of troubleshooting about possible bridge bypass (#20532)
- Reviewed a bunch of things
This week (2017-W39):
- Montreal travel prep
- More analysis of #20532
- More work on improving bootstrap progress and error reporting
- Reviewed: #23568.
- Had some problems with Android Oreo and some of the debugging scripts
- Refactored some of the Doze handling in Orbot and added some logging
for myself to be able to debug some timing more easily on host.
- Got through the Rust book and started toying around with a small
- The test hub ircd for ng onion got a small makeover after we reached
- Wrote a description of a chanserv feature we might like to see for
- Fix #23551.
- Finish some loose ends: help with the survey where I can + get
content on the "bandwidth test" HS.
- Start upstreaming some of the code for tor that I'm using to
debug things with.
- Prepare to roll a release for next week (with Isis + Nick) - should
we talk about this during the week?
- Go over the interview with BestVPN Q/A with Steph.
- Look at tickets for 0.3.1 and 0.3.2 in trac that needs to be
- More Rust.
- prop224 is currently in a controllable state. Most code has been merged,
and all open tickets are non-critical things (don't impact security or
reachability in a major way). We are now entering a deeper testing and
- Made a wiki page for prop224:
established a small testing hub on a friendly IRC network. We currently
have about 15 testers but we need more! Check out:
- More testing, bugfixing and test writing for prop224. Worked on #23621,
#23603, #23159, #23641. Also see
- More debugging for some elusive discnnects on prop224
Are we seeing too many client disconnects with prop224 or is it normal
relay on a 6 hop circuit? We see lots and lots truncate cells with normal
reasons (channel closed, or ended).
- Managed a few hackerone bugs.
- Triaged a few prop224 tickets that were on 0.3.2.
- Did some preparation for the PhD.
- Need to figure out what to do with the open IPv6 + prop224 bugs
Delay until Montreal for discussion, or handle the first part now?
- More testing and dogfooding of prop224. We should have a Tor Browser with
0.3.2.1-alpha soon so more testing will happen :)
- Work on the various open prop224 tickets: #23621, #23603, etc.
- Prepare for Montreal meeting.
- Do reviews as needed.
- finished farfetchd CAPTCHA server #15967
- ristretto standardisation meeting (also for vxeddsa and
- took a day off to do political organisation work
- started the moat backend #22871
- scheduling meeting sessions for montréal
- ask for a server to deploy farfetchd? not sure if it
should be a separate VM but it could be
- more scheduling for meeting session
- releasing 0.3.2.2-alpha
- finished time allocation update with brad (will check with nick on
sending the relevant changes to network team)
- started coordinating with Alison on contacts for tests/measurements
we need to do for sponsor8
- send invoices reports related to sponsor8
- missed meeting cuz I was on bus (traveling)
- finishing survey for apps developers (sponsor8)
- finish text for download measurement test
- finish obtain contacts for download tests
- finish error paths and msgs for progress bar (i know catalyst is
looking for this)
- wondering how moat api is doing (question for isis)
- trying to figure out who can call in for PT community meeting
organized by internews
More information about the tor-project