[tor-project] Infographic about Pluggable Transports

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Tue Jun 7 16:11:20 UTC 2016

Nima Fatemi <nima at torproject.org> writes:

> [ text/plain ]
> Attention: Metrics, UX and PT teams
> ===================================
>
> I'm working on an infographic about Pluggable Transport, that is ideally
> going to help educating both end-users and bridge operators (including
> potential bridge operators). I've prepared a list of things we could
> cover on this. Please review and let me know if there's anything I've
> missed that should be added to the list.
>
> This infographic is going to have two sections, the first part is more
> of a how-to. Showing 6-8 steps, demonstrating how to download Tor
> Browser and configuring it to use a PT to connect to Tor network.
>
> The second part, is the actual infographic part:
>
> - List of PTs included in Tor Browser with a one-line summary and
> significance of each
>
> - List of PTs under development
>
> - Stats
> 	+ Total number of PT bridges
> 	+ Average number of PT clients per day
> 	+ Maybe compare the numbers with direct connections?
>
> - Links to PT page (on website and wiki)
>
> What are other interesting numbers about PT world?

Hello Nima,

I think such an infographic will be quite interesting.

I feel that some of the most important PT numbers we are missing have to do
with the bridge distribution problem. The way I see it, PTs and BridgeDB are
two pieces of the same puzzle, and weirdly I've never seen any statistics from
BridgeDB.

Specifically, here are some example statistics that I would find interesting:

- How many clients use BridgeDB?
- Which distributors are used most?
- Which PTs are asked most?
- What % of clients are using Tor vs connecting directly?
- What are the most popular client countries?
- How many unique bridges does BridgeDB give out daily/weekly
- Did BridgeDB usage decrease with the introduction of meek?

Some of the above statistics might also require some privacy-preserving
obfuscation before publishing.

I'm still not sure why we have no statistics on BridgeDB. It seems something
that could point us to future research directions, and generally help us in
strategizing against censors.