[tor-project] Metrics to help relay operators?

David Goulet dgoulet at ev0ke.net
Tue Aug 30 13:14:33 UTC 2016

On 30 Aug (10:04:03), Karsten Loesing wrote:
> Hi Alison,
>
> moving this thread from the metrics-team@ moderation queue to this
> list with your permission:
>
> > Hi Metrics team,
> >
> > I was talking to Roger on IRC about how great it is that he sent
> > those checkin mails to everyone who runs a fast relay, and he had
> > an idea for the metrics and community teams to work together to
> > get useful lists that we could use to help give better support to
> > our network of relay operators. For example, a weekly mail of all
> > the relays that just passed the "earned a tshirt" threshold, or
> > some other threshold about how much bandwidth they've pushed over
> > a period of time, etc. The community team could then contact the
> > relay operator(s) and congratulate them, thank them for their
> > service, see if we can offer them help in any other ways, and so
> > forth.
> >
> > I've copied the community team here. Let's chat if you guys are
> > interested!
> >
> > Alison
>
> Sure, let's do this.
>
> I might not be able to hack much on this myself in the next weeks, but
> I'm happy to speculate how such a tool could be designed.
>
> Is there anybody in the community team (or another friendly volunteer
> on this list) who'd be comfortable writing a small Python script that
> fetches Onionoo data [1] and filters out contact information of relays
> matching given criteria?

I do have lots of scripts that interacts with CollecTor and uses stem to parse
it all. I've used Onionoo few times but with bash scripts and grep/awk magic.
However, I'm familiar with it so using Python for this would be easier I
believe.

If someone can specify for me the criteria for some scripts, I'm happy to do
it, it will take me few minutes I believe with what I have already.

> That's how Compass [2] was started before it became a website, and
> it's how the t-shirt script [3] came to life (shortly before it was
> forgotten).
>
> I could imagine that we start with a simple Python script that can be
> run whenever somebody from the community team is ready to reach out to
> new relay operators.
>
> We could later automate that process by letting cron run that script
> once per week and have it send the output to some mailing list.  But
> that could be step two.

I can even do that as well! I already have so many scripts and cron running to
detect bad relays on our network and measure the network[1] so if I know what
we want from someone from the Community team, easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Cheers!
David

[1] http://ygzf7uqcusp4ayjs.onion/tor-health/tor-health/index.html