[tor-project] Metrics to help relay operators?

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Wed Aug 31 08:05:55 UTC 2016

On 30/08/16 15:14, David Goulet wrote:
> On 30 Aug (10:04:03), Karsten Loesing wrote:
>> Hi Alison,
>>
>> moving this thread from the metrics-team@ moderation queue to
>> this list with your permission:
>>
>>> Hi Metrics team,
>>>
>>> I was talking to Roger on IRC about how great it is that he
>>> sent those checkin mails to everyone who runs a fast relay, and
>>> he had an idea for the metrics and community teams to work
>>> together to get useful lists that we could use to help give
>>> better support to our network of relay operators. For example,
>>> a weekly mail of all the relays that just passed the "earned a
>>> tshirt" threshold, or some other threshold about how much
>>> bandwidth they've pushed over a period of time, etc. The
>>> community team could then contact the relay operator(s) and
>>> congratulate them, thank them for their service, see if we can
>>> offer them help in any other ways, and so forth.
>>>
>>> I've copied the community team here. Let's chat if you guys are
>>>  interested!
>>>
>>> Alison
>>
>> Sure, let's do this.
>>
>> I might not be able to hack much on this myself in the next
>> weeks, but I'm happy to speculate how such a tool could be
>> designed.
>>
>> Is there anybody in the community team (or another friendly
>> volunteer on this list) who'd be comfortable writing a small
>> Python script that fetches Onionoo data [1] and filters out
>> contact information of relays matching given criteria?
>
> I do have lots of scripts that interacts with CollecTor and uses
> stem to parse it all. I've used Onionoo few times but with bash
> scripts and grep/awk magic. However, I'm familiar with it so using
> Python for this would be easier I believe.

I suggest we use Onionoo for this rather than CollecTor.  Onionoo
already keeps a lot of history about relays, and we'd have to
re-implement that functionality when using CollecTor data.

Maybe take a look at the t-shirt script that I included as [3] in my
original posting (link still below).  That script uses Onionoo data,
and it should already be relatively close to what community folks want.

> If someone can specify for me the criteria for some scripts, I'm
> happy to do it, it will take me few minutes I believe with what I
> have already.

How about you and I participate in one of the next community team
meetings and discuss possible requirements with community team people?

Alison, would that be helpful?

All the best,
Karsten