[tor-project] Metrics to help relay operators?

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Tue Aug 30 08:04:03 UTC 2016

Hi Alison,

moving this thread from the metrics-team@ moderation queue to this
list with your permission:

> Hi Metrics team,
>
> I was talking to Roger on IRC about how great it is that he sent
> those checkin mails to everyone who runs a fast relay, and he had
> an idea for the metrics and community teams to work together to
> get useful lists that we could use to help give better support to
> our network of relay operators. For example, a weekly mail of all
> the relays that just passed the "earned a tshirt" threshold, or
> some other threshold about how much bandwidth they've pushed over
> a period of time, etc. The community team could then contact the
> relay operator(s) and congratulate them, thank them for their
> service, see if we can offer them help in any other ways, and so
> forth.
>
> I've copied the community team here. Let's chat if you guys are
> interested!
>
> Alison

Sure, let's do this.

I might not be able to hack much on this myself in the next weeks, but
I'm happy to speculate how such a tool could be designed.

Is there anybody in the community team (or another friendly volunteer
on this list) who'd be comfortable writing a small Python script that
fetches Onionoo data [1] and filters out contact information of relays
matching given criteria?

That's how Compass [2] was started before it became a website, and
it's how the t-shirt script [3] came to life (shortly before it was
forgotten).

I could imagine that we start with a simple Python script that can be
run whenever somebody from the community team is ready to reach out to
new relay operators.

We could later automate that process by letting cron run that script
once per week and have it send the output to some mailing list.  But
that could be step two.

Hope that helps as a start.

All the best,
Karsten