[tor-onions] Renaming Rendezvous Single Onion Services

micah micah at riseup.net
Wed Mar 9 16:03:24 UTC 2016

David Goulet <dgoulet at ev0ke.net> writes:

> Data point. The name here is unfortunately important in terms of public
> perception but also it becomes an "ABI" because of the torrc file naming so we
> have to be careful of what we choose since we'll be stuck with it for a while.

Ok, noted: this casual bikeshedding[0] is actually important!

> My two cents. I would like to propose that someone gathers the latest
> suggestions and makes a new "Final RSOS naming suggestion" kind of email and
> send it to tor-dev@ and tor-onions@ and tor-project at . This has a broader scope
> and we should include the whole Tor community but as long as we have "final
> contenders, please vote" so we don't end up in an infinite email thread :).

I'm not against opening this to a wider audience, but I do see the
infinite bikeshed discussion getting out of hand. If this is going to
happen, I think it should be structured in some way. For example, a mail
is sent there with a list of current suggestions, a call for additional
suggestions that aren't already listed and a deadline for additional
suggestions is set. Once that deadline is met, then another mail with a
final call for deciding is sent, the parameters for how a decision will
be made should be detailed, specifically at what date/time the decision
will be finalized, who and how people get a say in this decision and
what finally is the criteria for the decision (eg. a 2/3rd
majority, etc.) otherwise it will be incredibly vague and unbounded and
never end.

micah

0. http://bikeshed.com/ - be sure to reload it until you get the color
you prefer