[tor-onions] Renaming Rendezvous Single Onion Services

David Goulet dgoulet at ev0ke.net
Wed Mar 9 15:16:45 UTC 2016

On 08 Mar (22:37:28), Alec Muffett wrote:
> On 8 March 2016 at 20:17, Ann O'Nymous <ann.onymous at vfemail.net> wrote:
> >
> > Strictly, that would be just "Rendezvous Single-Onion Services". To
> > emphasize the not-hidden aspect, I like "Exposed Onion Services".
> > "Exposed Rendezvous Single-Onion Services" is too long. In any case,
> > "Rendezvous" and "Single-Onion" are probably not very meaningful for
>
> naive users.
> >

> It's an interesting approach.
>
> I, too, don't like the Overly Long And Wordy Verbose Tautological
> Point-Making approach to naming schemes.
>
> The community is harmed more from not having the code than by believing a
> consensus opinion will form in an open-email-list community process.
>
> We can survive with calling them all "Onion Services" with "Hidden" and
> "Open" variants if, though I despair that "Open" is an essentially
> meaningless label which requires clarification and explanation.
>
> But then perhaps that's what's needed?  Nobody seems willing to make a call
> on the Tor side, and the rest of us here are just spinning our wheels.
>
> Let's go with the "mediocre-but-at-least-it's-short".

Data point. The name here is unfortunately important in terms of public
perception but also it becomes an "ABI" because of the torrc file naming so we
have to be careful of what we choose since we'll be stuck with it for a while.

This will go in tor 0.2.9 thus not released in a stable version until
September so we have a bit of time to come up with a reasonable name.

I like "Visible" or "Non-Hidden" or "Plain".

My two cents. I would like to propose that someone gathers the latest
suggestions and makes a new "Final RSOS naming suggestion" kind of email and
send it to tor-dev@ and tor-onions@ and tor-project at . This has a broader scope
and we should include the whole Tor community but as long as we have "final
contenders, please vote" so we don't end up in an infinite email thread :).

Cheers!
David