[tor-onions] Renaming Rendezvous Single Onion Services

Ann O'Nymous ann.onymous at vfemail.net
Tue Mar 8 18:33:17 UTC 2016

Tim Wilson-Brown - teor:
> Hi Kate,
>
> Aaron and others currently favour "open onion services".
>
> What do you think?

I remain persuaded by Paul Syverson's arguments for using names that
reflect design. Design is unambiguous and reliably accurate, unless
there have been substantive coding or merging errors. Conversely,
functionality, usage and applicability by threat model are all
ephemeral. Bugs and unforseen vulnerabilities can make such names
inaccurate and misleading, or even ironic.

Consider how "hidden services" fared against the CMU jerks. But there's
no irony when you call them "onion services". It's just that they
exploited a bug that allowed relays to readily message each other across
shared circuits. That is, onion circuits got pwned, and so did "hidden"
services and their users, but it was still accurate to call them "onion"
services.