[tor-dev] connectivity failure for top 100 relays

dawuud dawuud at riseup.net
Fri Apr 27 21:12:59 UTC 2018

Greetings,

(
Meejah and I made txtorcon report the reason for circuit
build failures here: https://github.com/meejah/txtorcon/pull/299
My scanner now uses this txtorcon feature:
https://github.com/david415/tor_partition_scanner
)

I used a collector consensus file: 2018-04-27-19-00-00-consensus

wget https://collector.torproject.org/recent/relay-descriptors/consensuses/2018-04-27-19-00-00-consensus

and extracted the top 100 relays with the highest consensus weights
with stable AND fast flags.

./helpers/query_fingerprints_from_consensus_file.py 2018-04-27-19-00-00-consensus > top100.relays

and then performed the scan, building 9900 2-hop tor circuits:

detect_partitions.py --tor-control unix:/var/run/tor/control --log-dir ./ --status-log ./status_log \
   --relay-list top100.relays --secret secretTorEmpireOfRelays --partitions 1 --this-partition 0 \
   --build-duration .25 --circuit-timeout 60 --log-chunk-size 1000 --max-concurrency 100

This resulted in only 307 circuit build failures:

echo "select reason from scan_log where status = 'failure'
> ;" | sqlite3 scan1.db | wc -l
307

And out of these failures, 301 of them the circuit build failure REASON was reported by little-t tor as TIMEOUT:

echo "select reason from scan_log where status = 'failure';" | sqlite3 scan1.db | grep -i timeout | wc -l
301

Here's the non-timeout REASONs for these circuit build failures:

echo "select reason from scan_log where status = 'failure';" | sqlite3 scan1.db | grep -vi timeout

DESTROYED, FINISHED
DESTROYED, FINISHED
DESTROYED, CHANNEL_CLOSED
DESTROYED, CHANNEL_CLOSED
DESTROYED, CHANNEL_CLOSED
DESTROYED, CHANNEL_CLOSED

I'm curious to try this scan at different times of day to see if results vary.

Cheers,

David