[tor-dev] Problems on torrc.d-style configuration directories

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 22:31:53 UTC 2017

> On 19 Jun 2017, at 08:14, iry <iry at riseup.net> wrote:
>
> Signed PGP part
> Hello everyone!
>
> I met some troubles when testing the new torrc.d-style configuration
> directories feature
> (https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/1922). Could anyone
> share some ideas on the problem, please? I will be really appreciated.
> The following is what I did:
> tor should connect to one of the
> bridges, if torrc.d style configuration worked. However, it didn't work.
>
> I also tried to remove the /etc/tor/torrc, and tor could not find a
> torrc file anymore.

Is there an %include directive in either /etc/tor/torrc or wherever
your distribution keeps the defaults torrc?

> The latest related discussion on the ticket is as follows:
> > Weasel and I (aka Hans) sketched out how we would use it in the
> > Debian package
> So I assumed it still worked.

I'm not sure this feature has been implemented in the Debian torrc
files yet. Some distributions don't change their configs based on
alpha features: alpha features sometimes change.

Others are just busy, and take time to update.

> Could anyone please help me point out what I have done wrong?

You probably need a %include directive in /etc/tor/torrc.
If you get this working, please submit a patch to the Debian bug tracker.

https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/diff/doc/tor.1.txt?id=ba3a5f82f11388237a3ba4995ddf0b6ffaaf492a

> I can see
> the source code of core Tor and write some docs on this, if this will
> be helpful, btw :)

https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/commit/?id=ba3a5f82f11388237a3ba4995ddf0b6ffaaf492a

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com