[tor-dev] Problems on torrc.d-style configuration directories

iry iry at riseup.net
Sun Jun 18 22:14:06 UTC 2017

Hello everyone!

I met some troubles when testing the new torrc.d-style configuration
directories feature
(https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/1922). Could anyone
share some ideas on the problem, please? I will be really appreciated.
The following is what I did:

1. add the following line to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/torproject.list:
deb http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org tor-nightly-master-jessie
main
2. update Tor to nightly version: sudo apt-get update
3. tor --version: Tor version 0.3.1.3-alpha-dev
(git-a73d0fe9a87df762+b433dff).
4. sudo mkdir /etc/tor/services-available
5. sudo cp anon-connection-wizard.torrc /etc/tor/services-available/
6. sudo mkdir /etc/tor/services-enable
7. sudo ln -s /etc/tor/services-available/anon-connection-wizard.torrc
/etc/tor/services-enable/anon-connection-wizard.torrc
8. reload tor
9. since bridges are used in the anon-connection-wizard.torrc, when we
use arm to check the connections, tor should connect to one of the
bridges, if torrc.d style configuration worked. However, it didn't work.

I also tried to remove the /etc/tor/torrc, and tor could not find a
torrc file anymore.

The latest related discussion on the ticket is as follows:
> Weasel and I (aka Hans) sketched out how we would use it in the
> Debian package, closely following the Apache pattern but with
> naming that is more appropriate in Tor:
>
> /etc/tor/torrc:: %include /etc/tor/services-enabled/*.torrc
> %include /etc/tor/instances-enabled/*.torrc
>
> These dirs are present for the actual snippet files:
> /etc/tor/services-available /etc/tor/instances-available
>
> These dirs include relative symlinks to *-available:
> /etc/tor/services-enabled /etc/tor/instances-enabled
>
> For example: /etc/tor/services-enabled/sparkleshare.torrc -->
> ../services-available/sparkleshare.torrc
>
> The sparkleshare package would include:
>
> /etc/tor/services-available/sparkleshare.torrc
>
> The davical package would include:
>
> /etc/tor/services-available/davical.torrc

So I assumed it still worked.

Could anyone please help me point out what I have done wrong? Or could
anyone please point me to some docs about the new feature? I can see
the source code of core Tor and write some docs on this, if this will
be helpful, btw :)

I really appreciate your help!
Thank you!

Best,