[tor-dev] Next version of the algorithm

Chelsea Komlo ckomlo at thoughtworks.com
Mon Feb 15 18:13:26 UTC 2016

Hi George,

We were having a similar discussion about what to include in the "receive
new consensus" action.

We currently have three actions to remove dead/unused guards. They are:

   1. Marking guards that are not listed in the latest consensus as "bad"
   2. Remove guards that have been dead for 30 days
   3. Remove guards that were added more than 30 days ago

Specifically, our question was whether #2 and #3 should be part of the
algorithm for new guard selection, as this seems to be more state file
maintenance, or if these will always be a part of the "receive new
consensus" action.

If #2 and #3 can be separated, we were wondering where these would go- if
there are other similar events for state file maintenance.

We have an updated document here-
https://github.com/twstrike/tor_guardsim/blob/develop/original_algorithm.md

Looking forward to seeing what you think!
Chelsea