[tor-dev] Next version of the algorithm

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Mon Feb 15 21:04:04 UTC 2016

Chelsea Komlo <ckomlo at thoughtworks.com> writes:

> Hi George,
>
> We were having a similar discussion about what to include in the "receive
> new consensus" action.
>
> We currently have three actions to remove dead/unused guards. They are:
>
>    1. Marking guards that are not listed in the latest consensus as "bad"
>    2. Remove guards that have been dead for 30 days
>    3. Remove guards that were added more than 30 days ago
>
> Specifically, our question was whether #2 and #3 should be part of the
> algorithm for new guard selection, as this seems to be more state file
> maintenance, or if these will always be a part of the "receive new
> consensus" action.
>
> If #2 and #3 can be separated, we were wondering where these would go- if
> there are other similar events for state file maintenance.

Hello Chelsea,

I agree that event actions #2 and #3 are not really connected to the "received
new consensus" event.

Currently in Tor these two actions are also performed by
remove_obsolete_entry_guards() which is called by
entry_guards_parse_state(). The entry_guards_parse_state() function is called
when Tor starts up, to load any guard information from the state file.

So in the new algorithm maybe this can fit under a new LOAD_STATE event?
Looking at the new prop259, this could be part of the START of the algorithm,
called when initializing USED_GUARDS.