[tor-dev] Renaming arm

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Sat Mar 14 19:05:24 UTC 2015

> Response on this thread though makes me nervous. Personally I really
> like the name...

Gave it some more thought over the last couple days and think I'll
move forward with it.

Name confusion is something I've seen a lot in the last five years,
but honestly I also think arm was simply a poor name. It came from
grepping /usr/share/dict/american-english for three character words,
then getting tired before I got through 'a'. I've never liked it and
considering it's been almost three years since the last release this
seems like a fine time to pick something better.

Seth not only avoids name conflicts [1], but is a name I like a lot
better and also happens to be the Egyptian god of chaos
(https://pp.vk.me/c622816/v622816251/1b371/8sADlDF4ZGI.jpg). This
gives me a lot more to work with for a new site.

There is no reason to be hasty with this so I'm gonna wait another
week to see if any better ideas come up. Ideas welcome!

Cheers! -Damian

[1] I've checked this on...

* PyPI - Name was open, 'tis mine now.
* Google - Searches for 'seth tor' shouldn't be any issue. Just a
Facebook account and the like.
* GitHub - Not much. There was a ruby project that gave me pause, but
it's been over a year since its last commit and its irc channel had
just one person.
* Wikipedia - Just a few matches with people and the Egyptian god,
nothing even remotely technology related.
* Irc - Not spotting much. There was a nick once with that question
but that's about it.