[tor-dev] Renaming arm

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Fri Mar 27 16:51:56 UTC 2015

> Gave it some more thought over the last couple days and think I'll
> move forward with it.

Hi all. I apologize for making more noise on this front but I couldn't
shake the feeling that I'm making a mistake. While I like the name
'seth' Mike was right, most people I ran it by associate it with a
person.

Did some searching this morning and found another I like almost just
as well, and might be more fitting: Erebus.

In greek mythology Erebus is a primordial deity and personification of
shadow [1]. I also considered Nyx, who's the goddess of the night but
conflicts with *nyx (shorthand for the unix family of OS). Also it's
the name of a Dota 2 hero that's killed me way too many times while I
warded...

Erebus is a tad longer than I was hoping for, but not terrible. I'm
not spotting much in terms of conflicts on Wikipedia, GitHub, or
search results and the name's available on PyPI.

Thoughts?

Cheers! -Damian

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erebus