[tor-dev] Renaming arm

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Fri Mar 13 15:42:55 UTC 2015

> Hi everyone,
>
> "Argos: the name of the 100-eyed giant in Greek mythology."
>
> It fits, if my opinion were to be welcome.
> And it doesn't clash with the "Argus" programming language.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argus_Panoptes

Hi Lluís. Last night I sunk a couple hours into looking for
alternative names and Argos (or Argus) came up a few times, but either
spelling has quite a number of potential conflicts...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argos_%28disambiguation%29

I definitely agree it's fitting, but considering how heavily they're
both used I'm wary of using it for the name.

That said, I very much like that you're thinking along those lines.
Mythology is a great source of names. Couple I'd love to use for
future projects are Morrigan and Caer Sidi, but both are too long for
a cli command. Personally this is a large part of why I like seth.
Besides being short and neat sounding I mostly associate it with the
Egyptian god.

Cheers! -Damian