[tor-dev] New documentation for Tor Metrics website

Lei Yang leiyang198710 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 22:05:47 UTC 2014

Dear Dr. Loesing,

I have a concern about the consensus_weight. The definition of it seems
that the consensus_weight is a completely measured value by the
authorities. However, from the Bandwidth Scanner Specification, if I
understand correctly, it looks like a combination of observed bandwidth and
the measured bandwidth. This is the description about how to calculate the
consensus weight in the Bandwidth Scanner Specification, "we compute an
average of the filt_bw fields over all nodes we have measured. These
averages are used to produce ratios for each node by dividing the measured
value for that node by the network average. These ratios are then
multiplied by the most recent observed descriptor bandwidth we have
available for each node, to produce a new value for the network status
consensus process."

If I am wrong, could you please let me know? Thank you very much!

Best,
Lei