[tor-dev] [Tor2web] Proposal for improving social incentives for relay operators

Virgil Griffith i at virgil.gr
Tue Jun 10 20:42:54 UTC 2014

General remarks:
    * I agree 100% with your Dec 2013 post.
    * All data I seek to make available in "Torati" is available from
Onionoo.

The proposal is to interface to Torati is like ATLAS but keyed by Tor
nickname.
    * However, where Atlas intends primarily to be a reference, Torati aims
to be social reputation
      incentivization for operators.  So you'd want Torati to be seen by
search engines using the user's
      nickname, e.g.,
  -- https://torati.torproject.org/TORTverLover
    * A given nickname's contributions would be the sum across the relays
with that nickname.

Which in for "TORTverLover" would sum the stats across:
   *
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/F2D3093388925780441433897F497797C5062B0B
   *
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/A8541EA02D2BBE97086BC7EF44A67E8FDA0C75A9

To answer your questions:

> (The last link is a 404.)

    Try: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3308162/Iajya%202013.pdf
    But the most important papers are the first two I linked.

> Why not make it entirely opt-in?  We could include a subscription
link in Weather's welcome messages that relay operators receive when
their relay first receives the Stable flag.

    I greatly prefer opt-out over opt-in.  Even if a Torati operator is in
fact reputation-hungry, I don't want
    the opt-in mechanic to encourage him/her to be seen as reputation
hungry.  Moreover, as ATLAS isn't
    opt-in so I see no reason to deviate from that precedent as this is
really just a "reverse-lookup" version
    of ATLAS.

> Where does the name "Torati" originate from?

     The name "Torati" is a Tor-ified version of "digerati" or
"illuminati".  It's meant to convey something
     along the lines of "Tor Ninja".  It's a positive term that one is
proud to call oneself.  The name was
     chosen as a component of the reputation social incentive.

-Virgil