[tor-dev] Chutney couldn't start Tor instances

Sukhbir Singh sukhbir.in at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 22:51:44 UTC 2014

Hi,

> No log files are generated in <path>/net/nodes/000a, so I don't know what
> happened. I don't see any conflicts with ports on localhost as far as I can
> see.
> Tor version 0.2.4.22 and Python 2.7.5+ are installed. Any ideas?

I find it helpful to remove the "--quiet" switch from
lib/chutney/TorNet.py (line 469) so that I can actually see why Tor
failed to start. That is the right place to start looking.

In your case, it is probably TestingClientDownloadSchedule or
TestingServerDownloadSchedule that is causing the issue since I
remember something with one of the versions in 0.2.4 (not exactly sure
which). Try removing these lines from torrc_templates/client.tmpl,
torrc_template/relay.tmpl and then reconfigure the network and then
start it. It is either this, or DirServer/DirAuthority but the verbose
output will tell you the exact problem (look for "err").

I have found these issues to be common when using an earlier version
because of mismatch between the templates Chuntey is configured to use
(recent versions of Tor) versus earlier versions with different
options. But the fix is easy -- just update the template and
reconfigure the network.

--
Sukhbir