[tor-dev] Chutney couldn't start Tor instances

Jesse Victors jvictors at jessevictors.com
Sun Jul 27 16:50:17 UTC 2014

Thanks Sukhbir,

This was exactly it. I took me a few times, but I got it in the end. To make Chutney work:

1) Comment out the "TestingClientDownloadSchedule" line in torrc_templates/client.tmpl and in torrc_templates/client.tmpl
2) Comment out the "TestingV3AuthVotingStartOffset" line in torrc_templates/authority.tmpl
3) In torrc_templates/authority.tmpl, change the value of "TestingV3AuthInitialVoteDelay" from 2 to 20
4) In the same file, change the value of "TestingV3AuthInitialDistDelay" from 2 to 20. These are the lowest these values can go.
5) $ ./chutney configure networks/basic
6) $ ./chutney start networks/basic
7) $ ./chutney status networks/basic

As you pointed out, removing line 469 of lib/chutney/TorNet.py (removing the --quiet option at launch) does give some great diagnostic information.
10/10 nodes now running, thanks again for the help. Hopefully the Chutney devs see this!

Relevant: https://xkcd.com/196/

--
Jesse V.