[tor-dev] obfs3 and Android

Michele Orrù maker.py at gmail.com
Sat May 25 15:47:59 UTC 2013

2013/5/16 Gordon Morehouse <gordon at morehouse.me>:
> Just a quick question (apologies if it's a repeat) from a totally
> Android-naive developer: is using Jython a possibility to speed the
> availability of obfs3 on Android?  Last I knew, which was in the dark
> ages, some Python code could be tortured into running on Android devices
> by compiling it with Jython.  Just curious if this has been considered
> or not.  I don't know what Android-specific problems there may be, but I
> know that in general Jython lags behind the latest stable Python, so
> e.g. code written against Python 2.7 might need to be tweaked to run
> against 2.5, etc.
Nope, jython compiles to java bytecode, but is not designed to work
also on the Davilk VM, and afaik all forks of jython for android are
dead.[0]
In order to run some python code on Android for APAF, I have used
SL4A[1], which is a little tricky, but seems more actively developed
and ports a few external libraries which could be useful - i.e.
pyCrypto.

[0] <https://code.google.com/p/jythonroid/>
<https://github.com/rjolly/jythonroid/>
[1] <https://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/>