[tor-dev] obfs3 and Android

Gordon Morehouse gordon at morehouse.me
Sat May 25 20:20:04 UTC 2013

On Sat, May 25, 2013, at 08:47 AM, Michele Orrù wrote:
> 2013/5/16 Gordon Morehouse <gordon at morehouse.me>:
> > Just a quick question (apologies if it's a repeat) from a totally
> > Android-naive developer: is using Jython a possibility to speed the
> > availability of obfs3 on Android?
> > [snip]
> Nope, jython compiles to java bytecode, but is not designed to work
> also on the Davilk VM, and afaik all forks of jython for android are
> dead.[0]
> In order to run some python code on Android for APAF, I have used
> SL4A[1], which is a little tricky, but seems more actively developed
> and ports a few external libraries which could be useful - i.e.
> pyCrypto.
>
> [0] <https://code.google.com/p/jythonroid/>
> <https://github.com/rjolly/jythonroid/>
> [1] <https://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/>

In my own continued research, I was taking a look at SL4A as well.  It
does look fairly active.

I'm gonna dump a couple other links here concerning Python on Android, I
haven't assessed the state of these projects yet, but I have a friend in
a censored region with only access to an Android device, and obfs2 is
working sporadically or not at all for them, hence the research.  :)

https://code.google.com/p/python-for-android/wiki/CrossCompilingPython
(Python 3 compiling to Android notes)

http://mdqinc.com/blog/2011/09/cross-compiling-python-for-android/
(Python 2.7.2 compiling to Android notes)