[tor-dev] torrouter development - Who is in charge?

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Wed Sep 12 20:53:56 UTC 2012

Damian Johnson:
>> I think the project will get more interest and attention from more
>> experienced (and busy) Tor developers once the "broken, does not turn on"
>> type problems are fixed; at that point a more formal design/review iteration
>> on specific device configurations and functionality can take place.
>
> Hi ficus. I spoke with Runa on irc and it sounds like this project is
> pretty much mothballed at the moment. You're certainly welcome to hack
> on it, but be aware that it doesn't really have a maintainer at the
> moment.

Argh. The project isn't mothballed. I'm the maintainer.

We're currently blocking on a web interface and regular tor builds of
2.3.x for ARM with tor-fw-helper enabled. I've also been writing a
number of core utilities to replace commonly vulnerable and crappy
services that such a device needs. The work on tlsdate is almost
entirely directed at helping set the system time on Tails and on Torouter.

> As is tradition for open source projects, you're certainly welcome to
> fork it. Also, we have several other things listed on the projects
> page that are being far more actively developed (if you'd like to work
> with one of us)...
> https://www.torproject.org/getinvolved/volunteer.html.en#Projects

Please disregard this - you're welcome to do all kinds of stuff but
this, like a rain dance, isn't likely to result in the best results...

> Shameless plug: I'm certainly more than happy to have help if python
> related stuff strikes your fancy. ;)

The build of Torouter that I have running includes your arm controller. :)

All the best,
Jake