Translated manpages

Runa A. Sandvik runa.sandvik at gmail.com
Mon May 24 08:41:17 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 4:51 AM, Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 09:19:40PM +0200, Runa A. Sandvik wrote:
>> I have been working on finding a way to translate the manpages via the
>> translation interface. There are only two small issues left: (1)
>> figure out whether or not tor-manual-dev.wml and tor-manual.wml should
>> be based on the same manpage, and (2) what we should do with the
>> translated manpages.
>>
>> Both tor-manual-dev.wml and tor-manual.wml generate the manpages that
>> are displayed on the website. These files use the same manpage to
>> generate the html files. That's probably not what we want. Which
>> manpage should tor-manual-dev.wml use, and which manpage should
>> tor-manual.wml use?
>
> Currently tor-manual-dev.wml should be the man page for Tor 0.2.2.x.
> You can find it in the latest git head under doc/tor.1.txt, and you
> can convert it to html using the combination of git and asciidoc commands
> you find in tor-manual-dev.wml.
>
> Currently tor-manual.wml should be the man page for Tor 0.2.1.x. Since
> Tor 0.2.1.x doesn't use asciidoc, you can convert doc/tor.1.in in the
> maint-0.2.1 git branch using man2html (as you see in tor-manual.wml).

I noticed that they are not actually the same, even though it may look
that way. For the translations, I will create one tor-manual.po and
one tor-manual-dev.po (in addition to po files for the remaining three
manpages).

>> We have four manpages in total, but only one is displayed on the
>> website.
>
> Yep. Anybody using the other three progams (tor-resolve, tor-gencert,
> and torify) is hopefully using a command line so they can just read the
> man page themselves.
>
>> We do not want to ship translated manpages, but what should
>> we do with translations? Should we put everything on the website?
>
> A good question. I think a fine first try is to make a tor-manual.html.de
> and tor-manual-dev.html.de in the website root (to go with the
> .en ones), and then people who click on the 'Handbuch' links from
> torproject.org/documentation.html.de will get the German version.

I have that working already, and the only remaining questions is what
we should do with the rest of the translated manpages. I guess we
could find a way to include them on the website, in the same way we
include the manpage for Tor 0.2.2.x and 0.2.1.x.

--
Runa A. Sandvik