Translated manpages

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon May 24 02:51:21 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 09:19:40PM +0200, Runa A. Sandvik wrote:
> I have been working on finding a way to translate the manpages via the
> translation interface. There are only two small issues left: (1)
> figure out whether or not tor-manual-dev.wml and tor-manual.wml should
> be based on the same manpage, and (2) what we should do with the
> translated manpages.
>
> Both tor-manual-dev.wml and tor-manual.wml generate the manpages that
> are displayed on the website. These files use the same manpage to
> generate the html files. That's probably not what we want. Which
> manpage should tor-manual-dev.wml use, and which manpage should
> tor-manual.wml use?

Currently tor-manual-dev.wml should be the man page for Tor 0.2.2.x.
You can find it in the latest git head under doc/tor.1.txt, and you
can convert it to html using the combination of git and asciidoc commands
you find in tor-manual-dev.wml.

Currently tor-manual.wml should be the man page for Tor 0.2.1.x. Since
Tor 0.2.1.x doesn't use asciidoc, you can convert doc/tor.1.in in the
maint-0.2.1 git branch using man2html (as you see in tor-manual.wml).

> We have four manpages in total, but only one is displayed on the
> website.

Yep. Anybody using the other three progams (tor-resolve, tor-gencert,
and torify) is hopefully using a command line so they can just read the
man page themselves.

> We do not want to ship translated manpages, but what should
> we do with translations? Should we put everything on the website?

A good question. I think a fine first try is to make a tor-manual.html.de
and tor-manual-dev.html.de in the website root (to go with the
.en ones), and then people who click on the 'Handbuch' links from
torproject.org/documentation.html.de will get the German version.

> Comments and/or questions are always appreciated.

Is that a good enough answer to get started?
--Roger